Time for a new light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishinfreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Lately my tank had been "leaking", where water would get into the edge of the lid (which wasn't sealed on) and drip down the back into the base, then it would come out the front. Tons ive taken off the lid and it is better. The problem is the light doesn't fit without the lid, so im thinking of getting a new one, and leaving the tank rimless. It is a low light planted tank that is 24" long and 8.5" deep. What would be some good lights for this tank that would keep it low light? Im hoping something like and sat+ would work, but am open to ideas. I know I could try to seal the lid, but why would i do that when I could upgrade? :)

PS, sorry for bad iPod pics. And the full tank one is the makeshift way I've attached the light
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405982561.284970.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405982458.855687.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405982476.510086.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405982488.427226.jpg

Anybody? Also, another light Im starting to consider are the Finnex lights

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Finnex planted plus. Sweet light and great price on amazon. My plants love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It will brighten that tank way up and look nice also

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For low light, you could get a dual T-5 NO (normal output not high output) fixture. I am thinking that even the Finnex FugeRay which has a lower output than the planted + may be too much light on such a shallow tank. Or you could go low cost (~$25) and get some 13w 6500K CFLs and place them in 5.5" or 8.5" reflective dome lights.
zO8JvoQ.jpg

Thx for all the ideas so far. Would the sat not plus also be too much light like the Finnexes?

Thx for all the ideas so far. Would the sat not plus also be too much light like the Finnexes?

Idk. I'd check with Brookster123. He runs a pair of sat + on a 40b. He may have some input on the sat non plus. I have one of those tanks and they are very shallow.

He hasn't re'd yet, but I'm starting to consider setting up a DIY CO2, as right now I feel fairly restricted in what I can grow. I've tried Lilaeopsis mauritiana, Miro Sword with only partial luck, and Downoi and Dwarf Sage have both been slowly going away. Some of this could have been from only a small amount of light reaching the tank because of the single 18" t8. If I were to add a DIY CO2, would it open up my options of lighting much? Also, would I be able to do it without doing any other ferts than the Flourish comp and DIY root tabs?

I would give him more time to reply. Not sure if he has experience with the sat non-plus fixture.
I think you can resume using the tank rim. Just keep the water level below the rim to prevent the water creep/leak.
Yes, CO2 will help with plant growth. I had good results with DIY CO2 last year under a Finnex FugeRay.

He hasn't re'd yet, but I'm starting to consider setting up a DIY CO2, as right now I feel fairly restricted in what I can grow. I've tried Lilaeopsis mauritiana, Miro Sword with only partial luck, and Downoi and Dwarf Sage have both been slowly going away. Some of this could have been from only a small amount of light reaching the tank because of the single 18" t8. If I were to add a DIY CO2, would it open up my options of lighting much? Also, would I be able to do it without doing any other ferts than the Flourish comp and DIY root tabs?

I forgot to mention, using API Leaf Zone with the Flourish Comp is a good combo (I used that last year as well).

As you expected, he didnt have any experience with the reg sat, but he did reccomend the + since it can be dimmed if i need to. Ill look into the API too. Also, does DIY co2 require the co2 tubing? Or is normal airline stuff ok

As you expected, he didnt have any experience with the reg sat, but he did reccomend the + since it can be dimmed if i need to. Ill look into the API too. Also, does DIY co2 require the co2 tubing? Or is normal airline stuff ok
I think normal would be fine, think only pressurized requires fancy pants tubing. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I used the blue or black silicon airline tubing with DIY CO2. Yes, it does leak CO2 but from a chart on CO2 permeability I once found, it is much better than clear vinyl tubing. Plus, it will not harden and crack over time as opposed to vinyl.
Oh, I found the chart:
Technical Resource Library from Cole-Parmer : http://www.coleparmer.com/TechLibraryArticle/700

K cause i have a little bit of cheap airline lying around, but if i go through with this ill just get the good stuff

I know its kind of of topic from the thread, but since you smart people are here, I have a few more DIY CO2 Qs.
First, this tubing would be ok right? It is the cheapest one on Amazon Prime that looked like it might work. Amazon.com : Elite Airline Tubing, 20 Feet : Aquarium Air Pump : Kitchen & Dining
And if I use my AC to distribute it, should I put in the intake in the tank so that it gets ground up?
And during the siesta period and at night, should I have an airstone running to make up for the extra CO2 not being used?

I know its kind of of topic from the thread, but since you smart people are here, I have a few more DIY CO2 Qs.
First, this tubing would be ok right? It is the cheapest one on Amazon Prime that looked like it might work. Amazon.com : Elite Airline Tubing, 20 Feet : Aquarium Air Pump : Kitchen & Dining
And if I use my AC to distribute it, should I put in the intake in the tank so that it gets ground up?
And during the siesta period and at night, should I have an airstone running to make up for the extra CO2 not being used?

That tubing should be fine for DIY CO2.
You could place the end of the CO2 tubing below the intake of the HOB filter.
You could. I did not. I figure the DIY CO2 was pretty low output so off-gassing would not be necessary.

Thanks for all your help so far Fresh. For a tank this size, would I still do 2 bottles of CO2 TO keep a better consistency of bubbles, or would that create too many bps

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom