Time for new fish in my 50 gal. Any suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dm76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. I have posted here before looking for advice but it is time for some new fish again. I have a 50 gallon planted tank and some fish have died over the last several months. I just did a thorough cleaning and trimmed the plants way back so it is a good time to start restocking.

Right now, I just have 8 harlequin rasboras, 4 cardinal tetras, 5 sterbai cories, a bamboo shirmp, and hundreds of red cherry shrimp. I had a bristlenose pleco for 7 years that just died and also have had a few gouramis on and off and they are all gone now. I will get 4 to 6 more tetras to start off with to build that school back up, but I am looking for some ideas for possibly at least 2 different types of larger centerpiece fish. I do have two small kids and I know they would like something that stands out and is colorful. I might get them a couple of those glow fish since they always point them out at the store, but I am really looking advice on the larger fish for now. Love to hear your ideas. Here is what my tank looks like.

I was actually thinking of angels. I just bought 6 cardinals today for a total of 10 so I will wait a few weeks for them to get bigger. I was worried more about the shrimp but they keep multiplying so they might be ok. I figure angels might eat some of the really small ones but the bigger ones should be ok with all the hiding places. Anyways, how many angel fish would work? Can you mix colors/types of angel fish? And would I be able to get any other large fish if I went with some angels?

I have like 7 angels in a 60. Yes you can mix and match. We only have two that have the same color pattern. Depends on how u define big. We have a guarami and a Bolivian ram and they get along great

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah big like a gourami. So I could easily do 3 angels and then still have room for a gourami later? I have always like rams but it sounds like they are difficult to keep from what I have read on here. What kind of gourami do you have?

Most likely yes. You may have to move some decor around. One will be come the alpha and like chase the others. We have seven and the same guy has been top dog for years

For th e guarami I'm unsure but he is gold with black spots in a line down the body. Be careful with guaramis. Some are aggressive and will kill other guaramis like the one we have did.

From what I have heard you should only keep a single shark or the will fight. Bolivian rams are great tho

Thanks for the replies. I have been away for a bit so haven't gotten back on here, but the cardinals I added a few weeks ago are getting bigger so its time to add more. These fish make me nervous as it seems like it depends on which one you get as to whether it will eat the other fish or not. Maybe I will look into the sharks as I don't know much about them. Or if you have other suggestions of peaceful larger pretty fish, then let's hear them. Thank you again.

go bolivian rams all the way i have them and they may chase new fish for about 5 min but then after that they dont care at all

Bolivian rams

I currnetly have two bolivian rams , both female, in my 20 gallon and they get along great. I am housing them with cardinal tetras and amano shrimp.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom