Time to Move On?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My filter has been not working for two days now. i cleaned it as best i could and plugged it in, all it does is hum, no trickle. ive changed the water 10 percent every day since then and im wondering what i should do now. does petco refund on filters???

Petco has a pretty good return policy. I have returned a siphon because I didn't like the way it worked and a bulb because I didn't like the color temperature. What kind of filter is it?

Is the propeller moving? The other day while doing a water change I turned my filter off and back on, when it turned back on all there was, was a humming. I looked down at the propeller since there was no suction and saw that it was not moving. I stuck a long rod down to reach it and tapped it to get it spinning again. I don't know if this is your problem, but its worth asking.

Might just need a closer look at it. If its humming then the motor should be working properly, so it must just be the impeller isn't spinning, might be worth fiddling with it a little more. I've had a couple filters do this as well

Might just need a closer look at it. If its humming then the motor should be working properly, so it must just be the impeller isn't spinning, might be worth fiddling with it a little more. I've had a couple filters do this as well

Ah impeller, that's the word I was looking for lol

I have no idea what the impeller is... Its one of those QuietFlows that say "up to 20 gallons" but barely does 10. It got moved from my betta tank to a 20 high, since the other filter on THAT tank is also busted. oh man. is an impeller like a metal rod?

How do i do that?

Quiet flows don't need to be primed as long as your water level is at a normal level. They're actually pretty good filters. Now that I remember my quiet flow had a similar issue, take the motor off the filter box and turn it on, then swish it in the tank a little, should start right up. The impeller is the metal rod with blades on it that pulls water.

Could i please get some help?

With out an impeller there's nothing to pull up water, the motor is useless without it. You can try to find replacement parts on amazon or probably just buy a new filter for about the same price since you won't pay shipping.

please tell me it can run without it. the rod had no blades on it, just a metal rod 1 inch long.

If you pulled a thin rod out of the motor I'm guessing that is the rod which holds the impeller in place. As was already said, the filter will not function without the impeller, and the impeller will not stay in place without that metal rod.

son of a business man. filter shopping time. thanks for all your help guys ill comb my trash. sorry fish im such a klutz. if i do find it how would i go about replacing it???

I've had to replace the rod with a new piece before and you just gotta stick it in there until it clicks in place (I'm not actually sure if it clicks) Then put the impeller back on the rod.

Back
Top Bottom