Time to trim Ludwigia repens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have one plant that is growing out of the tank and one that is close to doing the same, as the others being 8-10" but I'm not sure how to do it.

I've read you want to trim below a root on the stem and replant but I don't have many roots on the stems, I have attached pics of the 2 plants I want to propagate but I don't know how or even If I should go 3 plants from one instead of 2.

Your thoughts on this would be great so I can learn and also would you make 3 plants from the tallest one or just 2 ty.
L repens https://imgur.com/a/NJaMQ

You can cut the stem in any place and plant the top, both will grow.
2 plants or 3, I also have to find out what's destroying my flame leaf as you can see I'm the pic a few leaves are shredded.

If I cut right above the new leaflets on the ludwigia the top parts still going to be 12" so I'm trying to figure out where to cut, and will the bottom produce a top like it has now?

2 plants or 3, I also have to find out what's destroying my flame leaf as you can see I'm the pic a few leaves are shredded.

If I cut right above the new leaflets on the ludwigia the top parts still going to be 12" so I'm trying to figure out where to cut, and will the bottom produce a top like it hads now?

I'll draw you a picture, easier to understand that way.

"1" Cut just about a pair of leaves will result in a plant that looks like "2"

"3" will be the top of "1" that you cut off and replanted.

It does not matter where you cut the stem, the bottom will always put out new growth from the highest intact pair of leaves, so if there is 1" of spacing from where you cut and the next pair of lower leaves from the cut point, the new growth will come from the pair of leaves, and the 1" piece of stem will wither away. Sometimes 2 or more stems will grow out when you cut, not always just 1. Eventually the bottom leaves will start looking rough, so you cut and replant the tops, and just remove the bottoms.

Attachments

• Fish science 5.JPG
    Fish science 5.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 76
I'll draw you a picture, easier to understand that way.

"1" Cut just about a pair of leaves will result in a plant that looks like "2"

"3" will be the top of "1" that you cut off and replanted.

It does not matter where you cut the stem, the bottom will always put out new growth from the highest intact pair of leaves, so if there is 1" of spacing from where you cut and the next pair of lower leaves from the cut point, the new growth will come from the pair of leaves, and the 1" piece of stem will wither away. Sometimes 2 or more stems will grow out when you cut, not always just 1. Eventually the bottom leaves will start looking rough, so you cut and replant the tops, and just remove the bottoms.
So if I wanted to make 3 im guessing this is how
3 plants https://imgur.com/a/PoafY

That "can" be done but there's a higher risk the middle portion will have a tough time overcoming the trimming stress, and could likely wither away or look like hell for the rest of it's life.
Okay so just 2 let it grow cut again etc etc, in my picture where would you cut?

Every tank and opinion is different, I usually leave the bottom third, plant 1/4 of the top 2/3 clipping or so.

Every tank and opinion is different, I usually leave the bottom third, plant 1/4 of the top 2/3 clipping or so.
Now I'm all sorts of confused, this my first time trimming so I have no idea what you mean by that

Now I'm all sorts of confused, this my first time trimming so I have no idea what you mean by that

Ill trim the two top thirds of the plant off, leaving the bottom one third.

I will plant the top I cut off as deep as I can get it, usually this results in the trimmed/replanted piece being roughly the same height as the original bottom stem piece.

Attachments

• Fish science 6.JPG
    Fish science 6.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 61
Ill trim the two top thirds of the plant off, leaving the bottom one third.

I will plant the top I cut off as deep as I can get it, usually this results in the trimmed/replanted piece being roughly the same height as the original bottom stem piece.
Okay I thought you meant you cut it in 3's but you just cut in half, so my plant is about 18" so cut around the 9-10" mark and then just replant the top portion
This is the first time its been trimmed so there's no branches coming off, I know at the cut there will be 2+ branches that form instead of 1

Got it, the tops still taller than the bottom but the bottom that's rooted will grow faster than the top so it should balance out. I think[emoji848]

Likely will happen the other way... you’ll probably have to trim the “top” new piece before the original bottom one next time round ;)

Likely will happen the other way... you’ll probably have to trim the “top” new piece before the original bottom one next time round ;)
Grrr lol, well now I know for next time, i don't want to pull the plant back up and trim Off a few inches ill just do it right next time, no need to stress it out and have it die for a few inches.

Trim and replant is an easy way to increase the plant mass. Pretty soon this will become second nature for you and you will be trimming for shape and contouring that growth.

Trim and replant is an easy way to increase the plant mass. Pretty soon this will become second nature for you and you will be trimming for shape and contouring that growth.
Yeah i want to sculpt it where it looks like it's forming around the THR which will offset the THR sticking out so much, but I might have to get a better light to get the thick Bushy growth I'm looking for, this is from rotalabutterfly.com so it's just an estimate but I don't think I have the lighting needed to do so. Also my light is pods so I couldn't really do the calculator properly negate each pod has different lumens + I dint know what ° to choose for the BML they have 90,60,45,30°
ARHx0Fj.png

Back
Top Bottom