Timers and Surge Protectors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IME, the equipment we use on these tanks is fairly resistant to power fluctuations. An exception might be electronic lighting ballasts. I have little faith in the less expensive variety of surge protectors and I don't think they really offer much protection. For true surge/brownout protection, a UPS is the only way to go. These have a battery and an inverter and will switch to battery anytime voltage levels are not within the units parameters. They are fairly sensitive...the ones I use on my computer kick over to backup power at the slightest fluctuation in voltage. Another advantage to these is they will, depending on the size you purchase, give you some run time for critical components in the event of a power failure. We get quite a bit of voltage fluctuation out here in the boonies and I have never had it affect any of my aquarium equipment including my electronic ballasts. Home Depot sells a digital timer for about $20 that I have found to be excellent. It has battery backup so it won't lose it's programming when the power is interrupted. It's rated for 15 amps and is grounded. I have been using these timers for over a year and have never had any problem with them. I think the brand name is Intermatic. They are also much more accurate than the old dial types.

It may not be very useful as a surge protector, but in essence you get 4 timers and 4 extra sockets for about $25.

I just found the same one at bigalsonline for $20. Looks like you use it as a wavemaker as well. (Not sure)

Here's the description:

The coralife power center offers the hobbyist many options for controlling lighting and is great for switching water pumps/powerheads on/off to create tidal flow currents. 8-Outlet timer/power strip with 4 timer controlled outlets and 4 constant-power outlets. 24 hour mechanical timer with 15 minute setting intervals. Alternate day-night cycle timer. Master on/off switch. 3 foot heavy-duty power cord. Sliding outlet safety covers. 3-Prong grounded plug and outlets. 15 amp 120 volt (1875 watts max.) circuit breaker. Ul listed.

I think Im going to order one... :)

That might be OK. Are the timed outlets independently controlled or do they all come on at once? I think I've seen something similar to this at Home Depot...can't remember.

They have that same power strip/timer at captivereefs.com

http://www.captivereefs.com/captivereefs/detailcat.asp?CatID=lt-ac&SubCatID=lt-time#

Here's the description:

Coralife Power Center Day/Night or Wavemaker Timer, Power center timer. 8 outlet grounded power strip with a built in timer. 4 of the outlets are always on and the other 4 are switched by the built in 24 hour mechanical timer with 15 minute setting intervals. When the timer switches on, two of the switched outlets are on and the other 2 are off. When the timer switches off, the outlets are reversed. 3-foot heavy-duty power cord. Sliding outlet safety covers. Master on/off control switch. 15 amp 120 volt (1875 watts max.)circuit breaker. UL listed.
Weight: 5 Lbs.

Price: $26

They work very nice and I have not had one complaint on the coralife strip/timers.

It does. The 4 plugs are the daylights that have their timer. The blue are for the actinic. Again differnt timer. Then the yellow maybe ??? turn the nitelights on when the other two go out. But they do work, I just forgot how I hooked mine up. They are the same color layout.

I have the manual one with dials. I see this has digital or something. Wondering how it re-sets after an outage. BUt yeah. It'll work. I have the Coralife 3x150mh and 4x96 actinic. 3 plugs for the mh's (white). 2 plugs for the twin blue/actinic. 2 for the nite lites.

You sure? I thought on those the "yellow" and "blue" outlets alternated on/off. In other words, when the yellow outlets go off the blues come on. And when the blues go off, the yellows come on. The gray ones are always on.

Yeah... I know you said you had one so I'm not going to argue with someone who's using one, but when I was looking into those a couple years back I thought I read that they weren't independent timers...

I didn't look at that thing well. Kurt, you're right, those are just constant on - the white or grey. whatever.

Mine looks more like this with double timers. Zilla Aqualight Power Center (Double) (Saltwater Aquarium Supplies > Lighting > Accessories > Timers )

Although mine went on the fritz after about a month. Got another. Reviews I've read say they can be finicky. Seems like my clock acts weird sometimes, but it's been holding up for about 2 yrs now. 2 timers and when they both go out, the nite lights come on.

Last edited:
I bought one and it was the smaller one. The only complaint I have is, I can't use all the sockets because some of the plugs are large and half-way cover up the other socket, so keep this in mind.

I have had this product for several weeks and it works perfectly. When the yellow outlets {daytime} shut off, the blue {nighttime} switch on automatically. The other 4 are the constant ones for your heater and filter.

Which product are we talking about now. I forget.

Anyway, mine has 3 yellow, two blue, and 2 black plugs. Only one white/constant on.

Black for the 3 mhs, blue for the 2 actinic, and 2 for the nite lites.

Did I screw this thread up - or is Pitt420Dude even interested anymore???

Sorry.

Way to go Austin's dad, now you have everyone confused!!!

Totally kidding. I think most people are still talking about this coralife timer/powerstrip: Coralife Aqualight Digital Power Center at Big Al's Online.

It has 2 yellow plugs, 2 blue plugs, and 4 grey. So I guess there is only one timer, and the yellows and blues are mutually exclusive (can't both be on at the same time)???

That kindof sucks b/c I want my lights (3 plugs, 1 plug is lunar lights) and solenoid to shut off at the same time (3 plugs go off) while my lunar light plug kicks on (1 plug). The rest are for heaters, pumps, filters, etc.

It is pricey too, someone mentioned one made by brinks, anybody have this or know where to find it? How about ones made by Intermatic, anybody use these?

I have that exact one the 4 plugs yellow and blue can all be programmed individually for what time you want them to turn on and turn off and all of the non colored plugs (grey) are constant power. I have my 10k/Actinics and lunar lights all programmed differently

Back
Top Bottom