Timing on releasing babies into the main tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kphennessy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Cichlid tank and recently 11 new arrivals showed up.

I am holding the fish in a floating breeder unit. The babies are very active and are eating massive amounts of food (more than I would have expected). They are still quite small, about an inch long at the max.

I was wondering when the babies could be released.

Actually one assertive little bugger jumped out of the holding tank into the main tank. He is living the high life hiding under rocks and eating scraps that float to the bottom.

This morning I noticed that the 10 left in the holding tank is now 9. I am not sure if there was another jumper, or if they are starting to eat each other.

Anyone have any ideas? There are 7 fish in the tank. Three catfish that don't show themselves very often, about two to three inches long. 3 african cichlids. One about 5-6 inches, the others are 3-4. One South American cichlid about 3.5 inches long.

Thanks for your ideas!

Well, I probably wouldn't have removed them to the breeder net to begin with, cichlids are very good parents, as a general rule. Since it is already done, once the fry won't fit in the mouth of the bigger fish, you casn release them. You are still liable to lose a few, but they will stand a better chance than they will in the net. Make sure you haave plenty of hiding spots that they can fit into, but the larger fish can't.

I appreciate your input. I am probably still about a week away from releasing them. They are very speedy little fella's and I think they will probably be just fine in the big tank.

Back
Top Bottom