Tim's 29gal Biocube Reef / Angler Fish tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow that's a cool site. I just cut off some pretty algae that was strangling some of my corals. I think I got enough of it rubber banded to a separate frag rock so I can control where it grows. Can't wait to see yours in tank.

Thanks - I'm not sure how big the stuff will be but I figure, as long as my readings are consistent, the tank is cycled, so I'll put chaeto in the fuge of BC29, and then put some macro in the frag tank / qt / angler tank and use what I need to scape the BC.

Chromis is still kicking, but the angler seems to be doing fine. I've continued to feed brine shrimp every other day to every third day. Each time I watch him eat 4-7 before I walk away. He hangs out all over the place, hides all the time, and swims once in a while.

I just checked my BC again today and the parameters are Ammo: 0, Trite: 0, and Nitrate... is 40ppm. This is the only part of the cycle that is concerning me.

I've never heard of a drop in Nitrates before. The trates were off the chart for days and then all of a sudden I fixed my return pump flow and the very next day they drop from 160+ppm to 40ppm?

The decomposing shrimp goo has been in the whole time, so I'm sure there is a source of ammo in the tank. I'm going to remove it today, do a pwc, and wait till tomorrow to check the levels again.

IF they look good, ie 0,0, <10, I will add my chromis to the BC29 and monitor the levels with him in there. I will also start doing the normal lighting cycle for the tank, and add the chemipure and purigen to the media rack during this time. Next week I will be getting the macro, so depending on the levels, I will start to scape the tank and start the refugium as well.

If all goes well, possibly the end of next week, I will start the transfer of the angler, and possibly even some corals, again based on the levels.

I'll post a video I took of the little guy two days ago.

Do I just removed the nylon with the decomposing shrimp surrounded by a god-awful goo, and quite honestly, I have a VERY strong stomach when it comes to stuff, and I nearly puked in my mouth twice. That was the worst smell, I have ever smelled in my life. I also removed the 750 PH that was in the tank, since I won't be replacing it... It didn't smell :)

I relocated the nozzle on the return and I'm getting a much better flow pattern in the tank now, so I'm quite pleased with that.

Here is a FTS:

Attachments

• image-2140149897.jpg
    image-2140149897.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 136
TLTGF said:
Do I just removed the nylon with the decomposing shrimp surrounded by a god-awful goo, and quite honestly, I have a VERY strong stomach when it comes to stuff, and I nearly puked in my mouth twice. That was the worst smell, I have ever smelled in my life. I also removed the 750 PH that was in the tank, since I won't be replacing it... It didn't smell :)

I relocated the nozzle on the return and I'm getting a much better flow pattern in the tank now, so I'm quite pleased with that.

Here is a FTS:

That looks really good. I'm not even going to try to imagine what that shrimp smelled like!

I took a dead nassarius snail out of my sisters tank once so I feel your pain. I have had 2 kids and never had a problem with smells until I smelled that.

The tank is looking really good! So you are doing corals and macro in the tank?

Yep, the plan, good or bad is to do a mixed reef of a few corals and macro together... Is there anything that says I shouldn't?

I figure the majority or corals will be zoas, mushrooms, clove polyps, the trumpet I already have, and maybe a toadstool. I'm thinking like 10 total corals in the tank.

Any advice?

TLTGF said:
Yep, the plan, good or bad is to do a mixed reef of a few corals and macro together... Is there anything that says I shouldn't?

I figure the majority or corals will be zoas, mushrooms, clove polyps, the trumpet I already have, and maybe a toadstool. I'm thinking like 10 total corals in the tank.

Any advice?

Sounds good to me! I'm assuming because it's you that you are going to be using LEDs so I don't think you will have a problem with that.

Well, truthfully I'm going to be using the stock PC's at first, then move to an AI sol modded into the hood.

Today I did a large PWC to reduce nitrates.

Next steps, please advise if you see something wrong.

1) tomorrow morning test water - if high trates, another large pwc, if good:

2) add purigen, chemipute elite, and filter floss to media rack; continue with lights OFF

3) test water on Monday, if parameters are good, move Chromis to BC, turn lights ON to normal cycle

4) monitor params with Chromis, and adjust as needed - pwc on Sunday.

5) receive macro algae shipment; if BC params are acceptable, add chaeto to fuge, with light set at opposite of DT, scape tank with macro

6) continue to test through weekend for parameters, etc. PWC on Sunday.

7) Monday test again, it parameters are stable, dip and transfer corals to BC

8) monitor throughout week. PWC on Sunday.

9) following Monday, add angler to BC 29

10) visit LFS and purchase assorted mushrooms, glove polyps, and zoos - dip, and add to tank

11) monitor on regular schedule while continuing normal maintenance schedule - continue feeding techniques to get to frozen

The first (2) steps are complete:

1) tomorrow morning test water - if high trates, another large pwc, if good:

2) add purigen, chemipute elite, and filter floss to media rack; continue with lights OFF

Tested this afternoon and 0,0, 20 so I did another PWC of (8) gallons or so, close to 30% and I went ahead and added in the media rack of Purigen, Chemipure Elite and the floss on top. (y)

THANK GOD that I rinsed both the purigen and the CPE... The purigen had a little crap in it, but the CPE, turned my sink BLACK. :ermm:

Anyway, just got back home and everything appears to be in order, so I'll wait till Monday, and onto step 3.

Back
Top Bottom