Tim's 40 Breeder MOWLR build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks really good. I like the white inside the cabinet even though you're rarely going to see it I think it looks good.

Thanks.

The white inside is to help me see in there. Both my BC stand and my 54 stand are black and I had to install LED tap-lights just to work inside and see in there. I'm hoping this will help.

On another note, I just added a small CC starfish to the tank to test the feed / kill drive of the mantis. I'm hoping he leaves urchins and stars alone, but here is the 1st test!

Thanks.

The white inside is to help me see in there. Both my BC stand and my 54 stand are black and I had to install LED tap-lights just to work inside and see in there. I'm hoping this will help.

On another note, I just added a small CC starfish to the tank to test the feed / kill drive of the mantis. I'm hoping he leaves urchins and stars alone, but here is the 1st test!

best of luck, although i'm sure his attacking the thermometer wasn't too reassuring!

CC starfish had a death wish soon after adding to tank he went and found the mantis's cave and immediately entered. Few days later the star is all over the tank. No marks, looks good. Happy about that.

Mantis is still beating the snails all night, but had t been able to break one yet. Any "softer" shelled options?

He also still comes out to grab my homemade food cubes right off the fishing line. So awesome, out and about more during the night, but during the day as well. Can't wait till his large home is ready.

Got the stand nearly finished. I have a new appreciation for the saying, "Watching paint dry."

I put on the final coat of black on the stand, (2) coats of white on the inside, so that's done. I put on (2) coats of white on inside of doors, and didn't feel like waiting another (4) hours to flip and paint black on outside of doors. Tomorrow morning I'm heading back to my friend's house. I'm going to finish painting the doors, and I'm leaving.

After they dry, he volunteered to fasten the hinges and hang the doors. I'll be able to pick up the stand sometime Tuesday night or anytime after.

I added $15 of supplies for (4) more paint rollers and a (10) pack of paint pan liners.

I know it looks like nothing has changed, but here is what it looks like:

Attachments

• image-17424640.jpg
    image-17424640.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 79
  • image-226548052.jpg
    image-226548052.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 74
  • image-788921312.jpg
    image-788921312.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 70
looks really nice. If my set up (55g tank and stand) for $100 didnt come with a stand i'd use this idea. Maybe next build! Really nice job.

Doors are painted and hung. No pics though.

I'm going to pick it up hopefully tomorrow. Now I'm thinking about door knobs. I haven't decided whether to add one, but here are a few of my choices and the link to the site in case anyone is interested.

http://www.simplyknobsandpulls.com/aquatic-and-fish/?arrange=master_total&show=100

Haven't decided on a theme, or standard brushed nickel, or nothing. My 54 has nothing, but the BC29 has the standard brushed nickel ones.

Attachments

• image-3873553539.jpg
    image-3873553539.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 63
  • image-2365766402.jpg
    image-2365766402.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 107
  • image-710660751.jpg
    image-710660751.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 42
Looks great Tim. Looks to be really coming along.

Read a really interesting article about keeping Mantis Shrimp in Coral Magazine the other day. It talks about recommended flow, sand types, sand depth, diet, keeping pairs, and a lot more! Im sure you know a lot of the info but it was pretty insightful for someone like me. I did some searchin online but cant seem to get a link for you. However, if you have an iphone or smartphone, you can download the magazine as an application, and find the article in the table of contents! I'll keep searching, but i though maybe this could help! Goodluck.

Got an iPhone 5. I've actually read the articles a couple times. Trying to retain as much knowledge as possible. Thanks for the tip.

Not much to report, just a quick fun thing.

I went up to the tank a day or so ago and put my finger up to the glass. He was in his burrow watching from the back of the tank. He came right out and started examining my finger. I moved it up and down, side to side, and he walked with me looking ever so curious. I removed my fingers and he stayed for a scone looking me over and then did a typical Mantis backflip and back into his home.

Next night, I came in and tried it, and to my surprise, he did something similar, but not as dramatic. I feel in this short time, he has already made a connection with me and food. :)

My LFS has a peacock mantis in. They are so cool. I wish I had a spare 40 gallon acrylic tank sitting around.

Stand:

It actually looks pretty good and I'm impressed with DIY. Hard to get pics as the other dresser and tank are right in front if it.

Completed and in place. Lessons learned:

1) measure twice
2) pre made doors look nicer
3) only one "soft close" hinge per door is needed. Two and the door won't close properly.
4) paint is very susceptible to chips when hit with a large metal door

Setup:

I'm still on the fence about substrate. Dr. Roy (the expert) mentions a sand and gravel substrate. On the other hand every single thing I've read about mixing crushed coral with sand says absolutely do NOT do it.

I'm thinking I may just ditch the CC altogether and buy another 50 lbs of Rock from reefrocks. Then buy more sand.

Must keep researching.

A mackflip??!! You gotta post a video of that! That would be awesome to see!! Video Please??!! :)

Haven't had any luck duplicating the mackflip, but she (found out its a girl) did put on a show for my parents flashing her antenna scales around.

I decided to go with a mixture of different sized coral substrates. I'm using the normal crushed coral 2-5 mm size, some 3-10mm and just order 40 lbs that's 25-50mm. Should look great. Also will be adding pea sized to golf ball sized rubble.

My order arrived yesterday containing my additional (40) lbs of Grade #10 Coral substrate. It was not large at all with most of the pcs being the side of a pea or a little larger. At any rate, it was very beautiful.

After rinsing and washing the 80 lbs of CC I added in the PVC burrow followed by a few large pcs of base rock that I had from a previous order. I then added in all the CC and found I was still quite shy of where I needed to be. I decided to try Petsmart rather than drive an hour round trip to the LFS and they had 30 lbs of Caribsea puka CC something or other... Anyway, it was very nice sized and filled the tank perfectly. I added the 25 gallon of water I had made up, and even after (4) hours of rinsing and cleaning, the water was still extremely cloudy. I'm sure it would've been a disaster if I hadn't rinsed everything.

All said, I have (110) lbs of CC substrate in the tank at about 6" deep. Various sizes. What I completely forgot to do was to paint the back of the tank... Ah well, clear it is.

I've also decided that I may add my 10 gallon current tank as the sump / refugium for this tank. I'll have to figure out how to connect another small tank for the return pump, but I figured since its so full of life now, why waste it.

I went ahead last night and placed an order for 50#'s of base rock from reefrocks. The last time I ordered, Steve waited a few days to call me and ask what it was for, so this time I left what I wanted in the order comment section. I asked for 10lbs of marble to golf ball sized rubble and 40lbs of whatever will fit a 40 breeder with 6" sub.
He shot back quick with a reply, so I'm hoping that it comes soon. As quickly as I get the aquascape done, I'll toss in the shrimp and let 'em rot. Already added the heater and the water is now clear and up to temp.

Back
Top Bottom