Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi all I'm new to this and excited to get started. I am planning on live rock and sand with some simple soft corals and a handful of compatable fish I just purchased the 54 gallon corner bow with overflow. I wasn't a fan of the stands available so I decided to build my own. So far a little challenging considering the bow style. The door is going to be the most difficult. Anyone have any ideas. I'm planning on oversizing the cabinet a little for more equipment space (32" deep x 40" high)

Once the cabinet is built I will have a better idea in regards to sump design. I'm planning on a DIY sump and still am not sure if I will go with the Berlin method or add a refuge. Any pros or cons? Tim did you ever get your sump completed. If so any photos?

I've heard good things about the bubble Magus nac6 and nuocean has a good price but is out stock (still waiting for a reply from them as far as when they will be receiving more)

I'm planning on led lighting (120w) custom built for the owner of my lfs.

Rio 2500 return pump
1 large ph

Well these are my plans gonna be a while before construction is done and I can enjoy my tank like the rest of you. Thanks in advance for any advice

katoom27 said:
Hi all I'm new to this and excited to get started. I am planning on live rock and sand with some simple soft corals and a handful of compatable fish I just purchased the 54 gallon corner bow with overflow. I wasn't a fan of the stands available so I decided to build my own. So far a little challenging considering the bow style. The door is going to be the most difficult. Anyone have any ideas. I'm planning on oversizing the cabinet a little for more equipment space (32" deep x 40" high)

Once the cabinet is built I will have a better idea in regards to sump design. I'm planning on a DIY sump and still am not sure if I will go with the Berlin method or add a refuge. Any pros or cons? Tim did you ever get your sump completed. If so any photos?

I've heard good things about the bubble Magus nac6 and nuocean has a good price but is out stock (still waiting for a reply from them as far as when they will be receiving more)

I'm planning on led lighting (120w) custom built for the owner of my lfs.

Rio 2500 return pump
1 large ph

Well these are my plans gonna be a while before construction is done and I can enjoy my tank like the rest of you. Thanks in advance for any advice

120 watts seems like enough energy for this tank. I assume mixed white and blue?
Berlin method is a good idea and a refuge is just more of a good thing. It will produce critters for the reef inhabitants.
A bow front tank would look nice with a roll away door that opens sideways...

Sorry to say, I'm still sitting with a plain sump with lots of LR rubble. I have t upgraded so far mainly just because my. Hereby system is handling my bio-load well, and my budget has been mainly corals and livestock with a refractometer/ lights / RODI with trash can and another koralia for mixing.

Now I'm debating about even putting on a skimmer since my params are quite stable.

The only non-living thing I'm looking for is a hood to cover the lights on top.

Other than that a few corals and a Midas blenny, and I'm about to relax and enjoy.

Yea its gonna have blue and white lights In the led. I'm not sure if I will do a roll a way door or just use the kerfing method with plywood.

I'm gonna build a canopy once I get the tank up and running using the same Kerfing method I've seen on you tube.

What does a refractometor do

Katoom, I will be watching your stand build very closely. Im wanting to build a new stand so bad I can't stand it. .

Katoom, it always starts with "just a few soft corals". I was just planning on GSPs, mushrooms, and a colt coral. Now I have 15+ corals, and some LPS.

A refractometer measures salinity very precisely. Much more accurately than a hydrometer.

Kc I wish the project was gonna go faster than it is but with my work schedule, vacation and the upcoming holidays I don't believe ill have the project completed until sometime in January. Much longer than I wanted but I want to get it done right. So far I have completed the top and bottom base constructed of red oak. I need to do some detail work and then work on connecting the top and bottom together. I'm sure your aware that the difficulty is trying to figure out how to construct a curved style door that looks good. Had this been a standard base it would be easy. I haven't come across anyone who has made such a piece. I have seen some stuff on you tube but it involved purchasing some equipment or have it done utilizing a cnc machine. Crazy pricing. I'm pretty sure I'll use the merging method seen on you tube called merging. I will try a test piece and hope it works.
Greenturtle as far as a few I'm sure your right. I'm sure I will fall into the same boat as the rest of you. Working to support my tank instead of my family lol.

Looks killer, I love the Monti Cap. I took some shots of mine today also. I'm in the mists of a Flatworm battle @ the moment. I thought I had them about whipped & then I noticed my frogspawn was lookin alittle drawn in. BOOM covered in those little flat bastids!! just ordered some flatworm exit. should Have them under control in A couple or few days!

Thanks Rob.

Thanks KC - I saw your pics earlier too - you're corals are HUGE! Love the bass too, sweet looking fish, even with all the issues.

I'm in a battle with aiptasia and a majano at the moment - got the aiptasia X, but haven't done it yet.

My tank is at a constant, 24 hour day or night, no matter the room temp 80 degrees F.

Yeah if I don't keep some fans blowing on my lights and on my sump my water will get up to 90 plus so I think I am going to go with t5

Yeah, that's warm... I have an aquaticlife fixture with programmable settings and ATI bulbs - (2) special blues and (2) blue pluses - and then it also has lunar LED's.

I like it.

Seem to be a good light I was looking at the 6 bulb but I looked for someone around me and no one caries them here in AZ

Back
Top Bottom