Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well i'm gonna see if I figured out how to upload the progress on my 54 gallon tank stand and canopy. I guess if it shows up I did it ok.

Attachments

• IMG_20111115_171011.jpg
    IMG_20111115_171011.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 149
Cool I guess it worked out if anyone has any questions I'll try to help. Not looking at anymore progress from what you see here for at least another 2-3 weeks.

Looking great. I would love to have a corner tank. Well, after I get a tank that is at least 6' long that is. LOL Got to get me some tangs. :)

rdnelson99 said:
Looking great. I would love to have a corner tank. Well, after I get a tank that is at least 6' long that is. LOL Got to get me some tangs. :)

Finally, somebody that listens. Your tangs to come will thank you.

LOL Greg. I credit all of you guys with my success so far on my 45. I am not going to stop listening to you now. LOL I guess spending 30+ years in the electrical industry has taught me to listen when someone says "Don't do that". LOL It hurts to much when you don't listen. :)

Yikes! Last night I found my HUGE hermit eating the remains of another huge hermet though I couldn't find it's shell... But it must've been a battle of the titans on top of my Monti. It was crazy.

Yikes! Last night I found my HUGE hermit eating the remains of another huge hermet though I couldn't find it's shell... But it must've been a battle of the titans on top of my Monti. It was crazy.

I know, I hate it when things in my tank fight. It is very frustrating. I think my Hermits are fighting a little bit, I should really get more shells in there.

I have good stuff to update and bad...

The good: Hammer coral has doubled in size in a few months, and is huge. Monti has grown, no joke 1.5" all the way around in like two weeks. Ricordias are all splitting, but one.

Clowns are hosting a trumpet coral... Flasher wrasse keeps flashing everyone. P. firefish is the tank beauty. Chromis are both still hiding... Emerald crabs are kicking butt already, cleaning like champs. Everyone loves the skunk cleaner

Bad: one Chromis is looking a bit beat up on one side, but hard to tell as he's always hiding.

Ugly: the new fire / blood shrimp didn't make it. Acclimated for 2 hours 50 minutes. When I turned the tank lights on after four more hours he had a few hermits picking at the body. I netted him out, but he's a goner...

Shame about the fire shrimp, sorry.....Maybe it just wasnt meant to be. part of the reason I havent gotten one I guess, they are soo expensive..

I returned with a water sample to the LFS in order to get a refund for my fire shrimp. They warranted the shrimp, but let me know my alk was low - she said it was at (7)... Looking for around 8.5-10 as in a good range. I had just done a water change one day earlier (15%). She gave me a Salifert alk test and told me to test again after my next water change. If it doesn't go up, I'll most likely need to switch to Reef Crystals as I'm currently using IO.

I would much rather do that then to start dosing.

On another note, I went today and bought a nice bubble coral. It's still inflating now, but here's a pic.

It's about the size of my fist.

Also looking for ideas - it seems all the corals I buy are bottom dwellers... I'm out of room on the sandbed, and the 1st layer, but my middle to top section is rather bare.

What are some middle - top of the tank corals?

My current lights are 24" - (2) specials and (2) blue pluses - I also have good flow in the tank with (2) 750gph koralias plus return pump.

As you can see in the other picture, I have several "shelf" areas to place corals. Please send out some suggestions.

Thanks all!

Well as for the salt I am going to go with the red sea coral pro salt I have read a lot about it and it seems to b really good and its not to pricy the 175 gallon mix is only 50 bucks from bulk reef.....

As for corals get some acros for the high spots and other sps

I think if placed high enough in the tank sps would be fine to try. :) I keep all mine on the top of the rocks and they do very well. How about a montipora coral? Lots of nice colors and from my experience very easy to keep, mine grow like weeds. lol

You have sps in there now as long as u have it up high I think it will work my lfs has there's under a 4 bulb t5 light

Back
Top Bottom