Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 60g tank is only 24 x24x24. lol a single mp10 should be just fine. :-D

Also hoping to do a a lightly rockscaped tank, I want alot of open swim room, so most of the rock will be low.

You should be fine with one. At full blast its like having (2) Koralia 750's, but like me, I'm sure you won't have your's on constant mode. It'll be on one of the wave or ecosmart programs that ramp up and down throughout the day. They do move a lot of water, and in a seemingly different way then the Koralias do.

When I was watching mine earlier, because I had stirred up some sand during the pwc, I could watch the particles movement, and watching the two different PH's were quite different.

The Koralia is like a turbine with a more directed flow, and the water immediately next to it is what goes through.

On the other hand the MP10 literally pulls water and floating particles from down near the sand bed up to the top and it like pushes out in a more spread out pattern.

So, I confirmed that my Skimmer will be here tomorrow morning. As a reminder this is the one I am getting:

Reef Octopus 4

Is there anything that I need to know as far as hooking it up, setting it up?

Anything I need to do prior to that? Anything I need to purchase to accompany the skimmer?

This is my first one, so any help, helps!

Thanks.

My manual said that my reef octopus takes 4-5 weeks to break in. I haven't even gotten micro bubbles yet and it's been over a week :(. What could I be doing wrong?

Jlsardina said:
My manual said that my reef octopus takes 4-5 weeks to break in. I haven't even gotten micro bubbles yet and it's been over a week :(. What could I be doing wrong?

Running it in Vinegar/water speeds the process. Maybe hook it up in a 5g bucket for a week and use your former skimmer, then after a week let your new skimmer run in fresh SW in a 5g bucket for a day or two, then add to your tank

I have a super reef octopus 3000 on my 200 gallon. . . It did take a few weeks to break in but once it does. It is one of the best on the market. I will give u this piece of advice, it is very finiky(sp?) The height of the skimmer in the water column is very important.

Hello everyone, here is my latest update from today. Today’s update I will discuss the addition of a 2nd MP10w ES on my tank, and also review of the BRS shipping / packaging of the Reef Octopus NW110 Skimmer, and finally a review of the Skimmer assembly and installation.

First, the MP10w ES (I’ll refer to this as MP10 throughout the review). As I stated in my previous review of the MP10, the shipping, packaging, etc. was all good. Exactly the same as the other MP10, installation was a snap; however, there was a catch with this one. For whatever reason, when I started up the MP10 in the aquarium, it was VERY loud. Like much louder than anything else on the tank, ever. It sounded like a high pitched whining, that did not occur even at the highest settings of the previous MP10.

I played with the placement in the tank, unhooked it and hooked it back together, power on and off, changing modes, and no change. However, after giving up and letting it run for about 10 minutes, the noise went away completely and it is just as silent as its predecessor.

One thing I noted right away when I came home last night, was that my sand bed looked unbelievable CLEAN. The extra power and “undertow” effect of the MP10’s really did a great job of removing waste and detritus from the sand bed.

As soon as I had installed the second MP10 in my tank, one thing was obvious: It was completely too much flow in the tank. My sand bed, corals, and fish were blowing around everywhere. I immediately unplugged my last remaining Koralia which is in the back of the tank. This had little effect.
I initially had the 1st MP10 set up at about 80% speed at MAX, but with the addition of the 2nd MP10, I’ve had to dial them both back to 50%. Most of my corals look okay, but unfortunately I think I smoked my bubble coral! The flow was so much that half of its bubbles went away, and it looks as if the flesh was blown off the skeleton. I’m hoping it pulls through! My hammer was also pretty upset and it wouldn’t drop its hammers down very far.

Syncing up a MASTER and SLAVE relationship was very simple. I looked up the Youtube video and it sets you up in about (1) minute. I have mine set up for running opposite each other. So when the Master is at 80% the Slave is at 20%. You can also run together so both Master and Slave will be at 80% at the same time.

Once everything was dialed back down and I set the Mode to what I wanted, the tank looked ok, it was an extreme sandstorm and first but it was starting to settle out.

Another thing I noticed was that there isn’t nearly as much surface agitation with the MP10’s compared to the koralias. However, if I move them any higher, I start to get a whirlpool effect and they start sucking air. We’ll see how that plays out, but it makes looking down into the tank a much nicer experience.

The 2nd thing to review is the Reef Octo Skimmer.

1st impressions:
Made very well, much more heavy duty than expected, the size was much bigger than I anticipated, and it was very nice overall.
The installation was easy, though the directions were less than desired. I’m still not 100% confident that I set it up correctly. I did watch a Mr. Saltwatertank video or two on you tube explaining the basics of the setup.

The first thing I did was plug it in and watch the cup overflow all over the place. I then turned down the gate valve and lowered the bubbles in the neck.
I ended up unplugging the skimmer because I was nervous that it would be overflowing when I was at work.

It looks like its already picking stuff out on the bubbles within the first half hour, but not nearly what it needed to be doing.
Overall, I will update more when the time comes that I have actual data to report out.

I've only run it for like an hour before work and now another three hours, so nothing spectacular... Plus I'm not 100% sure even how to dial it in. I've looked all over the Internet, but I'm obviously looking in the wrong places...

Here is what I'm looking at now:

Back
Top Bottom