Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just let it run overnight and then see how much crud is in the cup and adjust from there try to get the foam as dry as you can

That's the plan. It's running now. Luckily, I just remembered that my kitchen sink was also on, making RO! Probably would've had a massive flood. I'm not planning to wake up for a good six hours!

Anyway, it's 3:30a here so I'm off to bed, and I'll do a picture or video update in the morning.

This is (10) hours of skimming... Looks like a wet skim, kinda like tea. The skimmer is in 9" of water. What do I need to do to get a drier skim? Less standing water or do I mess with the gate valve?

Adjust the gate valve just a little then recheck it in about an hour . Keep doing that until it's how you like it.

Okay. Which way do I adjust it? Right now the bubbles are just making it to the top of the tube before falling back down the pipe. If I adjust the valve even a little, it starts overflowing a very wet skim.

Just watch the water level in the skimmer while turning . One way will raise it and the other lower it. I try to get my water level where the collection cup meets the body . I'll cant check the video I'm sneaking on AA at work lol.

If I want a drier skim do I lower the water level in the skimmer? Or do I raise the skimmer itself?

You want the Output from the gate valve to be just above the water level and never change. When I lower my level in the skimmer itself it gives me drier skim but what happened with mine it wouldnt be pulling skim all the time so I adjusted the gate valve until it skimmed all the time but still fairly dry skim. Hope that helps

Update:

Good - skimmer I pulling lots of nasty stuff out.

Bad - my decision to buy a float switch has been made for me. I again flooded my house. Approximately 7 hours of RO on the floor!

Let the cleanup begin!

Well, it is stuff that happens like this, that allows up to be pointed in the right direction. I will learn from the ridiculous amount of water I had to clean up and other nasty stuff... Life moves on, and I'll grab a float switch so when I decide to make water at 3:00a after work, and fall asleep, I won't wake up to that!

I just ordered the JBJ ATO and the aqualifter pump. Figured now that I have a finiky skimmer I need to keep the level as constant as possible.

I also just ordered an Aqua-mag jr. about $23 shipped. I'll see how that goes, but looking at some threads on Reef central, I think I will really like how it looks. Here is the link:

Home

I'm really impressed at how fast my skimmer starting pulling out crap. Just amazing.

Thanks for following guys, and as always, once the ATO and aqua-mag come in I'll be sure to give a review.

I was working on killing a couple majanoes I've had for a few months and I had to keep the water still... Well I took a few neat top down shots that normally I don't get to enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom