Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can soak them in vinegar and rinse them well. The vinegar breaks down the calcium that forms on the heads and can throw their balance off.

I clean mine every waterchange with water I pull out of the tank and scrub them with a bottle brush I bought

Staying up on it let's you get the incrustations off while still soft. I am lazy, so by the time I get to it, they are like concrete. Vinegar soak, then the bottle brush for all the lazy reefers out there.

I've only had PH's for a couple weeks, so there isn't too much on them yet.

Tank is doing much better... I'm still weary about adding anything (fish / corals) for a bit, just to make sure that whatever was killing the fish isn't going to anymore. It's now been over a week I believe since the last death and previously they were within a day or two of each other, so I'm hoping it ran its course.

At this point, I'm getting ready for the BRS group buy, and I'm looking to upgrade my sump, and possibly my lights.

After that, it'll be around two weeks, and I'll probably start with adding some more corals - looking at GSP's, Pom pom xenia, toadstool leather, etc - all softies and lps. Once I get a few more of them, I'll probably start with adding the pair of B/W clowns that I've been wanting.

I know I will get another Flame Angel, but I'm second guessing the Royal Gramma. It was pretty, but not much of a swimmer, and I'd really like to get an active swimmer if possible with a nice bright coloring. We'll see when the time comes.

On a side note: What kinds of foods do you or are you planning to use. A few keep talking about NLS foods, and I know BRS does sell them too, but I just want to make sure that I'm giving a good variety.

Currently I do, Formula II flakes, Frozen Mysis, and Rod's seaweed sheets. I think I'll add NLS pellets so my Goby has more of a variety too, as he only eats the Mysis.

I feed NLS flakes and pellets to all my tanks as well as a solid selection fo frozen cube type foods. I also put out seaweed and algae sheets as well for the grazers.

I can for sure see a difference in my FW fish since switching over to the NLS, they are growing quicker and the colors are more pronounced.

Top of the line food for sure, I plan on ordering more through the BRS buy. :)

Thanks! It has been a challenge to say the least, but to say the challenge isn't the best part would only be kidding myself. This is the first hobby that I haven't given up on in 5 minutes.

I love it so far.

I can't believe how things change and evolve within hours. I've changed my LR layout 4 times, changed the coral and fish stocking list countless times, and I'm still trying to decide for a new sump or a DIY one. Finally, I'm still trying to figure out what equipment to buy, when, and in what order! LOL

This is fun, fantastic, and I have learned so much that I can easily keep up with a friend who has had a tank for 18 years!

That being said...

Trying to figure out whether I need a GFO / Carbon reactor... From what Carey says, probably not yet. I agree.

Same with dosing pumps - probably not there yet.

Skimmer? Love to, and if I DIY my sump, I'll have more room than ever for one.

Corals - I know that I want LPS and softies, but still no clue which ones

Fish - Initially: Flame angel, (2) B/W clowns, sixline wrasse, Diamond goby, royal gramma and my (3) chromis.

Now: (2) B/W clowns, sixline, diamond, (3) chromis, and...

Up in the air with Flame angel and royal gramma - I had a flame and gramma for a few days, and both died.

I loved the flame, though now I worry about nipping at corals since I'm doing more and more.

Gramma was very good looking, but not active...

Tough decisions and much more research!

If only I had $300... Lol

I found this on CL:

i have three big tanks
two 180 gal
one 100 gaL
stand for two tanks
one acryilic 30 gal tunnel tank
twenty gal
ten gal
five gal
4 aqua clear 500
plastic plants
wet dry filter
couple heaters
gravel
old wave makers
many extras
you must take everything $300
call 517 404 5626

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

And another:

300 gallon glass aquarium with stand. Used for reptiles, dont know if it would hold water.
Very heavy so show up with a helper with a good back. First one there with 75.00 dollars takes it. It cost 700.00 when purchased new.
Call me to see if it's still available, I dont think it will last long.

slitherbomb said:
What is this I don't even....

I would buy those 2 tanks in a heartbeat

Just found a place to put them. In my room. They will probably be FW tanks, if I get them...

Back
Top Bottom