Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My lawnmower? He's like one of my favorites. Then again so many of my fish are my favorites. It's like having kids, you dont have a favorite they all are. :)

Well, since I adopted the Chromis when I bought the tank, I don't love them as much as my goby and sixline... LOL

Yikes! I hope I didn't just offend any adopted folks out there... I'm sure your parents love you very much. :flowers:

carey said:
My lawnmower? He's like one of my favorites. Then again so many of my fish are my favorites. It's like having kids, you dont have a favorite they all are. :)

+1 whenever I get something new I am like "Thats my new favorite!" LOL

Question:

Background

I have this lighting set-up:

AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixture 24"
(2) 24" T5 HO 24W 420 / 460 lamps
(2) 24" T5 HO 24W 10,000K Lamp
(2) 1W Lunar LED's

I've noticed now that I have more corals to look at, just after the daylight bulbs go out, and my actinics are still on all of my corals seems to shrink away, and "get ready for bed."

Also during the daytime, there is only a small difference between daylight, and with actinics. I purchased the set-up used and I have no clue how long they have had these lights before I got them, or even if they have replaced any bulbs. I would assume no.

Question:

Are the stock bulbs in this fixture just not designed to give off much of a blue light? Should my corals go to bed when the actinics are on?

I'm planning on replacing with API specials, and blue +'s, during the BRS group buy, but I was just curious if what I have going is normal, or a sign that I need to change.

Thanks for the help.

My corals do the same thing, as soon as the blues come on they kinda start to close up and get ready for night.

LOL, I have no real updates cause I haven't done much. I'm still lingering before I add any more fish. Its been a while since my fish deaths, but I wanted to wait at least 4 weeks before adding more.

I did add a skunk cleaner and a few stalks of xenia, but thats been it.

I did however settle on getting (2) purple firefish, and (2) B/W Clowns, and then I'm done stocking and can focus back to adding more corals.

Still kicking around a DIY sump remodel to add in a new skimmer, but I haven't gotten there yet.

I'll be out of town for a wedding this weekend, so no more progress. :(

BUT... as soon as I do, I'll be sure to post some stuff. I was thinking about adding a youtube video, but I've never tried to do it before on Youtube or here...

I've noticed now that I have more corals to look at, just after the daylight bulbs go out, and my actinics are still on all of my corals seems to shrink away, and "get ready for bed."

Not sure if I am crazy but.....I only have a two lamp fixture at the moment so I have light or I don't have light. It is on a timer however and it seems to me that about 1/2 hour before the timer turns the lights off the corals start to close up. Like you said, "getting ready for bed". If that is the case, it tells me they are somehow tracking time. Can that be possible?

They are just following their normal rythmn. I guess to them the day is over when it feels like it light or no light..

Tempted to change the time on my timer just to see if they change with it after a week or two. LOL Nah, maybe not.

Actually I will be adding an hour of blues on eaach end of my lighting when I put my new bulbs in on Monday. So maybe we'll see if the blue sparks it or what...I don't want to burn anything so I figured I'd just gradually change them back so they can get used to the blaring bright new bulbs. lol

It's gonna be such a big difference i can't wait!

I dont have an issue with my corals closing up after my day lights turn off idk if it cuz my attinics are that bright but mine are open all the time

Depends on the coral. My trumpets turn out and put out tentacles. Zoas, palys and other polyps close up. Mushrooms shrink to almost nothing.

For me it's still amazing how much corals can grow and shrink depending on the conditions!

Yes, that has always impressed me as well. My mushrooms go from 4" to less than one inch at night. Unreal.

Back
Top Bottom