Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New addition. Been quite a long time. Had (5) fish forever. New Coral Beauty.

I haven't got a tank shot yet of her in it.

Attachments

• image-3953201432.jpg
    image-3953201432.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 144
Big updates:

So my last post was a picture of a Coral Beauty that I purchased from an awesome LFS. The fish was on hold for me for (2) weeks, and when I picked her up she looked awesome. Within a few days she had scar marks and what looked to be a hole near the top of her right fin. She didn't last, and I never saw her again (CUC).

This was my 2nd attempt at an angel, (Flame before) but alas it wasn't meant to be.

Previous to this, a few months ago I came home and I must've startled the Pink-spot goby because she flew like a torpedo out of the tank and landed next to me. Maybe she just wanted a hug... None the case, I scooped her up, cleaned off some hair and back in she went. Swam right to the bottom and other than heavy breathing, she was great. Next day I watched my serpent star drag her into the dark recesses of the tank, I couldn't react in time.

This morning, out of nowhere, I fed the tank as per my normal schedule and to my disbelief, no Midas Blenny. No rhyme or reason. I had noted that he seemed to be losing weight, but he ate like a pig, and I mean pig, everytime I fed. (Every other day)

Over the past few months I've seen and done these changes in the tank:
  1. I removed one of the MP10's and put it on another tank.
  2. The micro fauna in the tank had diminished - mini brittles, pods, bugs, worms, etc.
  3. Corals were growing faster than I could accommodate
  4. TONS of brown algae on the side glass and sandbed
  5. Scraping the front glass more often
  6. Fragged multiple 5-6" pieces off of the plate to eliminate shading
  7. Lost my Pachyseris coral, poirites
  8. Started feeding PhytoFeast again
  9. Lost Pink-spot goby (Had for year), Coral Beauty (3-4 days), and Midas Blenny (had for year)
As you can see there are lots of happenings.

The way that my rockwork is set-up in the tank absolutely sucks for flow. I have detritus build-up like crazy, and my corals are literally out of the water they've grown so much

The entire backside of the tank is basically one huge orange sponge that has fused itself to every rock in the tank. The fish have a ton of hiding / sleeping places, but its nearly impossible to move anything.

The reduced flow from removing (1) MP10 is, I'm certain, attributing to the algae on the sandbed and walls.

The nitrates are still running solid at 5ppm, never deviating. The rest of my tests are always well within spec as well, although I don't test for Mg. Honestly, I don't test very often until something bad or weird happens. Almost never.

I'm still doing weekly 15-20% PWC's without missing, ever.

My R.O. Skimmer takes 2-3 weeks before I have to empty the cup.

I still have my Radion set to Natural mode as well with about a 12 hour photo period from Dawn to Dusk. I'm convinced that (1) radion is barely enough to support what I have in the tank. The placement of corals are crucial.

Today I went to my normal LFS and bought a few turbo's, and (2) emerald crabs just for kicks. I also ended up buying a small school of (5) small blue/green chromis. Its ironic since I started the tank with (5) chromis that came with it.

I now house: (2) B/W clown pair, purple firefish, (5) chromis, many inverts.

It's very hard for me to find a "Swimmy" fish for such a small tank. My clowns swim in a 6" area most of the day and the firefish is the same. Hopefully my chromis will do some nice swimming stuff...

I would love to upgrade immediately, and I have so many ideas for aquascapes, and layouts, but I'm really trying to buckle down with the finances and keep my Debt snowball rolling along. ~Tip - Don't go $40K in debt with student loans, to get a Master's, unless you find a job that will pay them off for you. Even making $1K payments a month, it's still going to take me nearly (4) years!

I have still been doing a lot of planning about placement and such if I can find the perfect tank, for the right price. I know I'll be into it for at least one more Radion so thats $750, plus two MP40's and I'm toast.

Thats all for now. Thanks for hanging in there with me along my arduous journey.

:thanks:

Wow dude, you don't seem to be having luck with the angels...I have a spot breast angel in my 54 corner and she is usually put most of the time. I know she isn't long term, nut I can get at least another year or 2 from her. Then off to the 180 for her... Also, I have a juvi fox face in the tank and he is out most of time. I added 2 green bubble tips and the tomato clown took to them right away.

I am also battling that brown algae on the sand, and its gross!!! I just installed a new skimmer today, and even though its not recommended, have vacuumed a small section of the sand about a week ago. The algae hasn't come back and hasn't increased. I also dialed down the whites on the Radions by 30% and the reds too. You,might try it, it's definitely not hurting me.

Good luck fellow corner tank mate!! If you do plan to upgrade. Grab the tank from Craigslist. I'm in south Florida and we picked up a 180g complete setup with halides (don't use them), and T5's and a stunner strip for 600.00. If your patient, you can get a deal. I know the loans are hard, been their, done that!!

Good luck!

Wow dude, you don't seem to be having luck with the angels...I have a spot breast angel in my 54 corner and she is usually put most of the time. I know she isn't long term, nut I can get at least another year or 2 from her. Then off to the 180 for her... Also, I have a juvi fox face in the tank and he is out most of time. I added 2 green bubble tips and the tomato clown took to them right away.

I am also battling that brown algae on the sand, and its gross!!! I just installed a new skimmer today, and even though its not recommended, have vacuumed a small section of the sand about a week ago. The algae hasn't come back and hasn't increased. I also dialed down the whites on the Radions by 30% and the reds too. You,might try it, it's definitely not hurting me.

Good luck fellow corner tank mate!! If you do plan to upgrade. Grab the tank from Craigslist. I'm in south Florida and we picked up a 180g complete setup with halides (don't use them), and T5's and a stunner strip for 600.00. If your patient, you can get a deal. I know the loans are hard, been their, done that!!

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips. I've tried manual removal of the algae too and it helps for sure. I'll look into the lights as well.

As for Craigslist, that's a no-brainer. I get everything from there nowadays. Currently there is a 220 gallon will all the fixins for $700. Tell me I'm crazy for sticking to my budget! I'm dying for it, but I have some will power left for now.

Tim I'm really sorry to hear about your angel, I have a flame that scared the crap out of me, cloudy haze over one eye, lots of garlic later alls well. I have the same luck though with those **** powder blue tangs, I love those fish.......but they don't love me Lol!!! I really hope your tank turns around that sucks. I'm really happy to find other people on here with 54 corner tanks, mine has been up and running for one whole month, I know impressive hahahaha

I added back the other MP10 to my tank. I had removed it and put it on my biocube. There wasn't enough flow and the sandbed was looking nasty. All the corals and fish responded positively.

I've also decided to start doing daily 1 gallon water changes instead of one weekly 5-7 gallon change. I read a great article about maintaining trace element levels better than doing one large change.

Can't remember if I mentioned this, but I also bought a clam. Nice 5" crocea clam. It's mantle is purple with electric blue lines throughout.

Attachments

• image-2623838716.jpg
    image-2623838716.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 162
  • image-1294376505.jpg
    image-1294376505.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 143
  • image-2382113138.jpg
    image-2382113138.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 152
The BN is certainly dying inside, but it keeps growing. I never had much of an issue with its shade as much as the Monti-cap. I broke a few 6x4" pcs off of it and now the whole tank is brighter. All my corals are doing well except my trumpet coral. For some reason about 6 out of 30 heads are shrinking up and not expanding. They are right in the middle of it - no clue what's up with that.

Other than that - all happy.

I know this is going to sound strange and might come with negative reaction, but have you considered backing off on the water change schedule to 20% once a month? Reefs and fish love stability and that is quite a bit for a small tank.

The stack of the rocks and circulation is super important and may have been a contributing factor to the death of your fish recently.

Mr. Crabs said:
I know this is going to sound strange and might come with negative reaction, but have you considered backing off on the water change schedule to 20% once a month? Reefs and fish love stability and that is quite a bit for a small tank.

The stack of the rocks and circulation is super important and may have been a contributing factor to the death of your fish recently.

I agree with Mr. Crab, unless you have a really high bio load, you may not need that many water changes and as mentioned stability is a major factor in long term sucess.

Thanks guys, I always appreciate good feedback and advice. I too was looking for more stability. This is the article I read: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php

It's all about water changes. In it, the author compares monthly large water changes to daily small water changes, and basically summarizes that while smaller (1) gallon pwc's are less efficient gallon to gallon, they keep things more stable.

I was hoping that changing out one gallon per day opposed to 5-7 per week would be more stable. My bioload is decent: (4) small Chromis, (2) b/w clowns and (1) purple firefish.

Do you think that one 20% monthy pwc would be better than daily 1 gallons? Certainly it's better than weekly 20%'s.

TLTGF said:
Thanks guys, I always appreciate good feedback and advice. I too was looking for more stability. This is the article I read: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php

It's all about water changes. In it, the author compares monthly large water changes to daily small water changes, and basically summarizes that while smaller (1) gallon pwc's are less efficient gallon to gallon, they keep things more stable.

I was hoping that changing out one gallon per day opposed to 5-7 per week would be more stable. My bioload is decent: (4) small Chromis, (2) b/w clowns and (1) purple firefish.

Do you think that one 20% monthy pwc would be better than daily 1 gallons? Certainly it's better than weekly 20%'s.

IMO, gradual in a aquarium is always best. Maybe cut the difference in half and do a couple of gallons every three days.

Just a couple things.

1) take is running smoothly. I added my 2nd MP10 back and that really improved everything. The reduced flow from (1) MP10 even at 100% was terrible. The sand bed looks nicer and the fish are out more. I'm breaking down my frag tank and I am taking a tunze 425 I have and putting it behind the rock-work as well.

2) been doing two (3) gallon pwc's per week and its not only easier, but more efficient for me.

3) I made my own homemade fish food today. "Blender Mush", as some call it. I put together (2) tilapia fillets, 12 raw, shelled shrimp, half a package of frozen krill, (6) mysis bubbles, (4) shark formula bubbles, (4) large scallops, half sheet of nori, and selcon. I mixed it in a food processor until I had small, tiny, and minuscule particles. I then put the majority in a large freezer bag and also filled two snack bags and flattened them all. I took a very small sample and fed the tank and everything went crazy. The fish were in a frenzy, the clowns went and fed their Duncan's, shrimp was dancing, and it was great. In my angler tank I put a small sample for the damsels and they went nuts and within 30 seconds the sun polyps were out too. Seems like a big hit.

The cost was about $15.00 for all the ingredients used. Ill have enough food to feed every 2- 3 days for around a year I'm guessing. 1/2" blocks x 327 = a lot of days.

Attachments

• image-1278767317.jpg
    image-1278767317.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 128
Awesome I have thought about making food for my tank as well just worried that I would be making with the wrong ingredients. After reading your post I may just try it.

I researched some before I did it for the same reason. Mr. X has a recipe of sorts on Renegade Reefers. If you type "blender mush" in google you'll see others too.

My understanding is that anything fresh from the ocean is okay. Nori sheets, of course any normal store bought fish food can be added. Some people even put spinach and broccoli into the mix.

One tip I've read over and over is to wash everything with RO water to remove unwanted nasties.

Good luck!

This one was on Craigslist:

Ingredients:
Golden Pearls
Fresh Squid
Fresh Shrimp (thoroughly de-shelled)
Fresh Scallops
Fresh Mussels
Fresh Octopus
Fresh Oysters
Fresh Mackerel (13x more omega-3 than Perch)
Mysis Shrimp
Brine Shrimp
Krill
Plankton
Saltwater Daphnia
Cyclop-Eeze
Organic spirulina algae
Reef Nutrition ArctiPods
Reef Nutrition RotiFeast
Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast
Fresh phytoplankton
Otohime B1 pellets
Otohime C2 pellets
Brightwell Aquatics AminoOmega - HUFA Omega 3/6 (like Selcon)
Brightwell Aquatics Restore
Brightwell Aquatics Koralle-VM
Brightwell Aquatics Garlic Power
Brightwell Aquatics MaxAmino
Brightwell Aquatics Vitamarin-M
Brightwell Aquatics Vitamarin-C
Brightwell Aquatics SpongExcel
Brightwell Aquatics CoralAmino
Brightwell Aquatics Microvore
Brightwell Aquatics KoralColor
Reefroids
ESV Spray-Dried Phytoplankton
Elos Phytoplankton
Coral Frenzy
Sea Veggies Seaweed, Purple
Sea Veggies Seaweed, Green
Sea Veggies Seaweed, Red

I think that one is a bit over board. My fish seem to be very fat with a much simpler recipe I posted earlier this month. I think you might spend a week just finding all these ingredients. I won't do that for myself, much less the fish. Guess they will have to get by on fast food. ;-) My food mix is pretty much what MrX also was feeding if I remember right. Pretty much like yours as well.

As I said earlier, I take my mash in a towel and try to squeeze as much water as I can pull out of it. It adds less worthless liquid to the tank and it makes it a lot easier to break in to sections when frozen in flat sheets. I don't mince it up much past what you would mince ingredients for salsa. I want it to be in chunks from pin sized up. After thawing it is pretty easy to tear apart and my wrasses and tangs tear it up for the smaller fish.

I don't tend to add veggies as they get really smushed up. I feed those separately. But the proteins can be any seafood.

Last edited:
I know there are several who read this thread that have the 54 gallon corner aquarium like myself. Can any of you tell me what type of sump and protein skimmer you have. Space is such an issue in the odd sized stand. I haven't had a skimmer but think I should add one as I am having a problem with brown powder like algae and the guy in my LFS said a protein skimmer would help. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom