Tiny blue hippo tang...yes/no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've set up my quarantine tank and was at the lfs and saw some tiny blue hippo tangs, maybe about an 1" or at the most 1-1/4" long. Are they too small for a first time marine tanker? I plan on stocking my 120g w/ 30g sump with a blue hippo tang, yellow tang, a couple of clown fish and of course the clean up crew. A couple of others as well as size and "getting along with others" permit. Should this be the first fish? I plan on a 4 week quarantine and slowly adding others. What do you guys think? Thanks

Steve

You can try it but those really small tangs dont have a good track record IMO. Maybe if he`s the only fish in there maybe. Keep your water parameters pristine in the QT if you are to have a chance.

In all honesty, I would do the clown fish first. They are pretty hardy and forgiving of parameter shifts from a newly established tank. Tangs on the other hand can get stressed out and diseased very easily. I'd wait a few months after getting the clowns to let your tank settle down, then go out for your Tangs.

I've set up my quarantine tank and was at the lfs and saw some tiny blue hippo tangs, maybe about an 1" or at the most 1-1/4" long. Are they too small for a first time marine tanker? I plan on stocking my 120g w/ 30g sump with a blue hippo tang, yellow tang, a couple of clown fish and of course the clean up crew. A couple of others as well as size and "getting along with others" permit. Should this be the first fish? I plan on a 4 week quarantine and slowly adding others. What do you guys think? Thanks

Steve
IMO, I think that 1" is to small and as Mike said their track record is pretty bad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom