Tiny bugs crawling/swimming in my beta's tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xx.jmvu.xx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone!

This is my first post on this forum, but I found something a bit concerning in my betta's tank and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I also have 3 neon tetras in there to keep him company; he doesn't mind them too much.

I just did a 50% water change 3 days ago and also changed to a new filter cartridge, as my previous one was already gunky and was in a definite need of replacing.
My betta & tetras are doing well and haven't shown any signs of sickness whatsoever. As I sat next to the tank feeding my betta some dried blood worms this morning, I noticed these really tiny white bugs crawling around against the glass. And when I say "tiny", I mean TINY--they're basically microscopic to the point where my phone will not do any justice with pictures.

There are so many of them! My betta missed a piece of a blood worm, and I noticed that quite a few of those little crawlers were attracted to that leftover piece.

I've done a bit of searching on google, and some say they might be copepods, are harmless, and can actually be a little snack for the fish. Now, judging by the size of these crawlers, I can't tell if they are actually copepods or not.

Has anyone else had this issue before (if they are even an issue to be concerned about, haha.)

Attachments

• 56422324_1089548981227964_4493910670776991744_n.jpg
    56422324_1089548981227964_4493910670776991744_n.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 865
I don't know about the copepods--never had them--but your comment that you threw out your filter cartridge and put in a new one grabbed my attention.

Unless you are running a second established filter, you may have done some damage to your cycle by throwing out the filter media, where most of the beneficial bacteria live. It's on surfaces in your aquarium, too, but losing all of your filter media can put your fish in danger, as most of the bacteria are there.

I would test your water (start monitoring ammonia, nitrite and nitrate carefully) and do water changes as necessary until you're sure your cycle is established or re-established.

If you get copeopods that get large they look like tiny tiny shrimps and are actually kinda cute. I have never had (or at least seen) them in my tanks but my GF has them in hers somehow. She now leaves them if she sees them during a water change. She has a honey gourami that never eats what we feed and we think he eats those.

They disappeared???

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

The little crawlers ended up disappearing after a few days.
Maybe my fish ate them, or they probably just died off.
Anywho, they're all gone, and my fish are still okay :)

Also possible to get Ostracods, seed shrimp or Water fleas (Cladocera) / some are Daphnia just around in the water they are frequently seen in ponds.

A couple things you don't want are Planaria, Hydra and dragon fly nymph (which are NOT what you had), but just to keep an eye out, not uncommon to find.

Also common are detritus worms and tubifex not harmful and can be fish food if you have the right fish.

Back
Top Bottom