Tiny regals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Was at the LFS today and they had about 10 regal tangs that were about half an inch long. Has anyone ever seen them this small? Just thought I would share.

Yep, they are very popular cause they are so cute, but they really have a poor survivability in the aquarium at that size.

Yes, my LFS often have a dozen or so. I bought one from them about 3 months ago when it was less than an inch. It is now over 2 inch long. They are quite easy to care for and very strong. The only problem is ich.

When I visited my LFS last week, they had a new batch of half inch regals in. They were covered with white spots. I understand they have copper in their water to suppress the symptum, but it doesn't really kill the parasite. Thus it is important to QT them before putting it in the main. But they so cute at that size.

Ya, my LFS had a bunch last time I was in. If you would sneak up on the tank they would be out. As soon as they would see you ZOOM, under the rock. :lol:
Nice looking fish, but the last thing I need is an ich magnet.

reefrunner69 said:
, but they really have a poor survivability in the aquarium at that size.

From what I understand they have a poor survivablitly at any size....is that not the case?

Do they grow to be full size or do they stay fairly small? How fast do they grow anyways? (I have thought about getting one for my tank, then giving it to my friend for their 90 gallon when it got too big.)

reefrunner69 said:
If properly cared for and quarantined, tangs are very hardy fish.

Sorry, lol, I was thinking of the Regal angel :wink: Just reread and realized he was talking about a hippo :D

I am still new to this hobby, but when I was still "newer" I bought two tiny hippos, one lasted one day the other one two. Brought them back to the LFS and a water sample as requested. The freaked out over the "low magnesium" that "obvioulsy" killed the two fish...thus no refund or credit. Yeah right, I was so shook up, they actually suckered me into buying a bottle of Mag Up.
After I got home I started doing some research and needless to say the bottle is still full.
I now realize that my tank was just not ready for these fish and probably still is not but to give me B.S. about Magnesium? Try that on me today... and I would cause a scene.
I am dying to have two, but I know I am still not ready and QT is an absolute must for those fish.

Yeah, the LFS was shocked when I said I don't dose Iodine and Mg. I had them test my CA and ALK. After about 4 trys and 2 people doing it, he porceeded to tell me my CA was 600 and my Alk was on the floor. I told them I don't dose anything, how could CA be that high.

I went home and tested and got CA 385 and Alk at 2.5 meg/L.

crazy

BTW, I have seen the baby hippos too. At $25 they are reasonable but the ones they have never look very good.

The only time such elements come very important is if you keep corals, and other inverts such as anemones sponges ect. Anyways im glad you now know better.

I do have an assortment of softies, LPS's and 2 SPS's. That is why I test anyway. I am going to start dosing kalk since I want some harder SPS's and I need to get my CA up a bit.

I still say the best way to replenish your trace elements is to do regular smal water changes. As for the tiny tangs...I am afraid many, many, many of these little babies met their fate in some kid's "fish bowl", along with a large number of clowns. Thanks to the movies and poor education on the part of LFS, kids are finding Nemo...dead.

Back
Top Bottom