Tiny tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iMax

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm in the process of setting up a heavily planted 20g tall and want to go for tiny fish to make the tank look bigger than it is

I was thinking of

2 male, 2 female scarlet badis

20 or so RCS (will multiply like crazy and in turn the babies will offer a food source for the scarlets)

and then maybe some red colored guppies or something to keep with the red stocking selection?

Any other suggestions welcome (they dont have to be red fish either)

The guppies might snack on the RCS. How about some ember tetras or chili rasboras?

The guppies might snack on the RCS. How about some ember tetras or chili rasboras?

Will they stay tiny (under an inch and a half) I'm really starting to like the idea of a bunch of tiny active fish

Will they stay tiny (under an inch and a half) I'm really starting to like the idea of a bunch of tiny active fish

Yup, under an inch. Also look into celestial pearl danios, spotted blue eyed rainbowfish (very cool fish for the top level), green neon tetra, mosquito rasboras and Endlers.

Those blue eye rainbow fish are stunning, I bet the price on them is as well lol

The indostomus paradoxus is a great nano fish but needs food like baby brine shrimp

The spotted blue eyes normally aren't priced that bad. I got mine for $4.98 a pair and that's here in Hawaii where everything is way more expensive. The spotted blue eyes are really fun to watch, plus you can have them in a tank with red cherry shrimp and they'll coexist fine! Mine live in a ten gal with about 40 RCS so far.

The spotted blue eyes normally aren't priced that bad. I got mine for $4.98 a pair and that's here in Hawaii where everything is way more expensive. The spotted blue eyes are really fun to watch, plus you can have them in a tank with red cherry shrimp and they'll coexist fine! Mine live in a ten gal with about 40 RCS so far.

This is a kind of tank I'll be doing in next few months. Already growing plants and mosses for it. Will start with RCS and nano fish and once I get the shrimp care down to fine art, I'll jump into crystal shrimp. They are beautiful and fun to watch. Good luck with yours. Post some pics once things are put together.

I'm in the process of setting up a heavily planted 20g tall and want to go for tiny fish to make the tank look bigger than it is

I was thinking of

20 or so RCS (will multiply like crazy and in turn the babies will offer a food source for the scarlets)

and then maybe some red colored guppies or something to keep with the red stocking selection?

Forgot one more thing, which I'm sure you already know: proper filtration :) looking forward to seeing your pics

I was thinking of

I have exactly the same set up. Scarlet Badis (only one right now but planning five more), RCS (tons) and 12 Chillis in a 20L. Heavily planted. It has worked out beautifully. If the Scarlet is eating any of the RCS babies, he is barely making a dent. I like the all-red grouping.

Back
Top Bottom