tiny white creatures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aa777rob

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
im seeing these tiny white creatures, about the size of a grain of sand scurrying around on the glass or even swimming around. im now seeing something similar looking on my new big blue tang and butterflies. are these bad? are they attacking my fish like a parasite? ive asked at my store, either told correctly or they misunderstood what i had, but said they are just part of the lifecycle in the tank and not to worry about them. i just see my expensive new fish getting white speckled and now im worrying. any ideas if theyre related?

The stuff you're seeing on the sand and rock are probably what we call pods and are not anything to worry about. However, they do not generally get on fish. I am concernede that you mich have a case of marine ich on the fish. Can you get a picture?

out of concern too, i put what i had left of an ick treatment in the tank overnight..it wasnt enough for a full dose but better than nothing. i have a copper based treatment but was told i couldnt do it in the main tank without killing hermits and other stuff. i hate to segregate these 3 big fish but i will if it gets bad. the stuff i have i think doesnt treat the ick but is an immunity booster for the fish so they get stronger and fight it off. if i remember right how this stuff works. id rather put something in that attacks the parasite but i dont want a death pool of crabs and such on my hands if i can avoid it. will try to snap a pic, but the blue tang is quite shy and rarely makes an appearance while im standing at the tank. he looks like he has white specks on him the same size as those white pods. just hoped it was a temporary thing but im guessing i have bigger problems right now.

I have a similar problem with my powder brown and regal tang. It's not too bad but I want a back up plan so I'm setting up a 4 ft QT. il keep the filter in my sump of my DT when I'm not using the QT and drain it and keep it in storage. That way you don't have to go through the cycling process and you aren't tempted when its an empty tank!

Back
Top Bottom