TIny white worm!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

icathal

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just got one of those magnetic algae cleaner things and after using it I noticed a tiny white worm like thing in the water! Should I be doing something about this or is it a harmless bi-product of the tanks bacteria?

Even if it is poop, it should not be white it should be...well... poop-colored. You might want to prepare yourself to medicate for parasites, especially if you witness your fish having white-stringy poop.

Labenator65000 said:
Even if it is poop, it should not be white it should be...well... poop-colored. You might want to prepare yourself to medicate for parasites, especially if you witness your fish having white-stringy poop.

It wasn't poop because it was wriggling, should I go ahead and medicate just incase the problem gets worse?

Try to find it and get it out of there at least. Do a thorough PWC, including under and within your decor and substrate.
I'm not a big fan of proactive medication. You should try to find it and get it out of there, then just keep an eye on your fish.

Labenator65000 said:
Try to find it and get it out of there at least. Do a thorough PWC, including under and within your decor and substrate.
I'm not a big fan of proactive medication. You should try to find it and get it out of there, then just keep an eye on your fish.

Thank you, I did a PWC straight away and think I got the bugger, will keep an eye and see if any more surface!
Thanks again

HUKIT said:
I'm sure it's planaria which are harmless, the fix is clean more and feed less.

Will do, thank you! Nice to know these things, all adds to the aquarium database in my brain :)

I just defeated planaria due to overfeeding. I did lots of cleaning, ran a razor blade on insides of the glass and stopped feeding for a few days. All clear!

christine2012 said:
I just defeated planaria due to overfeeding. I did lots of cleaning, ran a razor blade on insides of the glass and stopped feeding for a few days. All clear!

I did the cleaning but never thought to halt feeding for a few days! Will 2 days be ok?

I did the cleaning but never thought to halt feeding for a few days! Will 2 days be ok?

You don't need to stop feeding for a couple of days to eliminate them, you just need to stop overfeeding them. Feeding is one of the biggest challenges for newer aquarists with the majority of people overfeeding their fish.

HUKIT said:
You don't need to stop feeding for a couple of days to eliminate them, you just need to stop overfeeding them. Feeding is one of the biggest challenges for newer aquarists with the majority of people overfeeding their fish.

Very true, I just wanted them gone as fast as possible! I'm STILL guilty of overfeeding even though I know what the outcome could be.

I just feed while they are still eager for it, it's not a very much talked about topic when you begin keeping fish but I'm sure il get it right with a little research and more experience! And of course the good advise from people here which is brilliant!

Back
Top Bottom