Tips on moving your tank to a new house?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

denwhite16

Aquarium Advice Activist
My wife and I are hoping to purchase a new house soon, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on moving my 75 FOWLR tank. Right now I only have two Clowns, an African red star, and blue damsel. I also have an empty 55 gallon sitting in my basement that has never been used, so I thought I could use that in the equation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

When i moved my 75 fowlr I put my fish in a bucket of tank water and a battery powered air pump. Transported all the water in buckets . The most important thing is to use the lids from the buckets and place them on the sand before you pour your water back in. As long as you don't disturb the sandbed you will be in pretty good shape.

I've moved my 75 gallon twice. I'm in the middle of buying a house and will be moving it again soon. It sucks lol, there's no doubt. The most important part is keeping your LR wet. If it dries out you're in trouble. You could definitely use that 55. If it were me, I'd set the 55 up out of the way (but close to where the 75 is going) at the new house, transport all your LR in buckets of tank water and put the LR and the fish in the 55 with a powerhead or 2 until your 75 is setup. Using ALL the tank water from the 75 however isn't a must, its the LR that holds all the bacteria. I would also recommend buying new LS and seeding it with some that's in your current tank because as stated if you disturb your sandbed it will probably cause a spike and mini cycle. As long as the distance you're traveling to the new house isn't too far the fish should be ok without an air pump. You might want to enlist some of your stronger friends or relatives too lol. Good luck.

I'd put some of the rock and all the fish into the 55g where you are now. Move over the 75 to its new location with new sand (or washed old sand), most of your rock, and all new water. After moving the rock around, you're not going to want to use the old water with all the detritus now moving around. Set up your skimmer,sump, PHs etc. Go back to your old place, move over the rest of the rock and livestock as needed. Ideally it'd be great if you could do this in a day.

Back
Top Bottom