TMRC's Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update,
The firemouth and sev are doing great. I swear the firemouth has already put on half an inch. I watched him at the pet store for over a month before buying and it seemed there was no growth, its taking off now that he is on a good diet in clean water. The sev has settled in nicely. Both fish are much less shy. I think I've found one set of dithers for the tank, I'm keeping it under wraps until I can actually get a hold of them. I'm going to do one school of 5-6 larger dithers and one school of 6-8 smaller ones if my plan works out.

The Africans are doing great as always. I spend more time enjoying this tank than tweaking it and I think that's the way it should be.

My nano is still doing well, still only the two female guppies right now.

I'm preparing photos for a large photo update but its taking time. Stupid photo bucket lol.

I finally got a natural behavior shot of the mbuna tank. Had to take it from a distance. The little pigs come running for food when I get close.

This is a shot of Poseidon with some yellow lab and acei guest appearances

Another shot of the severum, oddly his black line is gone in this one, its usually there.

I like how you're mbuna tank isn't the typical heavy rock no plant tank. Also like the rainbow shark in the second picture, they are my 2nd favorite fish behind loaches

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You have to have fake plants because they will rip it apart, I know from experience because my pump got cloged. So I put the pump in a bowl with vinegar and some water and turned it on for an hour and it cleaned it well, also a cue tip to get any gunk stuck.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You have to have fake plants because they will rip it apart, I know from experience because my pump got cloged. So I put the pump in a bowl with vinegar and some water and turned it on for an hour and it cleaned it well, also a cue tip to get any gunk stuck.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know you can't have real plants with mbuna. I had a yellow lab a while back, and tried putting some plants I found at a lake in with him...they didn't last 24 hours

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks fish wrangler, I'll have to get a shot of the rainbow by himself, he is a beast. I bought him at about 1 1/2 inches and have had him about two years now. He is just over 5 inches head to tail. He holds his own with the mbuna very well.

Ive had ok success with anubias and java fern with mbunas. But any other plant is treated like playground equipment.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Picked up my second severum today, along with 4 of my dithers. That was all they had but I got to know the manager there a bit and she ordered some more so I can complete my school.
I'm going with clown barbs, they are pretty rare around here and can reach 4 inches+ in aquariums which should keep them from being food. I'll get some pics when they settle in a bit.

Picked up my second severum today, along with 4 of my dithers. That was all they had but I got to know the manager there a bit and she ordered some more so I can complete my school.
I'm going with clown barbs, they are pretty rare around here and can reach 4 inches+ in aquariums which should keep them from being food. I'll get some pics when they settle in a bit.

What was your final stock going to be in this tank? Sorry I don't remember.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What was your final stock going to be in this tank? Sorry I don't remember.

Well depends. The 40 will be a grow out tank with a 75 being the final destination. My growout will include 2 sevs, 1 firemouth, 1 convict, 6 clown barbs and if nitrates allow a second school of smaller of dithers.

Well depends. The 40 will be a grow out tank with a 75 being the final destination. My growout will include 2 sevs, 1 firemouth, 1 convict, 6 clown barbs and if nitrates allow a second school of smaller of dithers.

With that stock I don't think you will have any problems with the dithers getting eaten.

I'm hoping not. I know the clown barbs will be safe. Do you or others have experience with clown barbs? I can't find any info here on them.
I'm looking at 8 cardinals as my second school, if predation happens I'm building in for it to happen here.

I'm hoping not. I know the clown barbs will be safe. Do you or others have experience with clown barbs? I can't find any info here on them.
I'm looking at 8 cardinals as my second school, if predation happens I'm building in for it to happen here.

I've never owned either.

Been tryin to find some locally. Lucky dog. Great lookin fish.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well a little drama between the severums, they've been lip locking a few times. Hopefully they get past this soon. The clown barbs have been a blast. Totally cool personalities. I'm looking at a school of cherry barbs for the second dither group. They will accent nicely color wise. Once they are in the 75 I'd like to have about 12 Cherry's at a 3:9 ratio m:f. In the 40 I'll probably try for 7 at 2:5 ratio.

I picked up my new male guppy from my breeder friend. Its a strain solely raised and created by him that he hasn't named, this is a fourth generation of line breeding male. The colors are exquisite. There are a lot of endler traits still apparent in this strain. He deals with a lot of rare endlers and though I didn't catch a lot about the lineage of this guy I know he mentioned wild genes being present. He keeps detailed notes so I can get info on the lineage if down the line I get some results good enough to sell around the forums.

I wouldn't worry too much with the severums. Once the pecking order is established they should be fine. You will still see the dominant one push the others around at feeding times and every now and then.

Thanks for the assurance. These are my first sevs and its really my first dive into Americans. I'm very happy with my firemouth I'm especially glad I started with a juvie, he was all but mainly colorless when I got him, its started to show its red belly now with blue spotting showing up amid the bars. The sevs are mainly solid green with one black bar at the back. The new one is showing more of the dark bars, not sure if that is a dominance thing. It surprises me how much the severums can change colors.

Back
Top Bottom