To DIY Co2 or not to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've been having a little bit of an issue with some thread algae and green spot.

I read an article on the causes of algae blooms that was given the seal of approval by Hoppy on plantedtank.net. It said one of the major causes was Co2 fluctuations. For low-tech setups like mine, water changes should be infrequent so as to not have new Co2 introduced during that water change, which makes the Co2 levels fluctuate. I did notice some of my plants sending out streams of O2 directly after a water change. However, I have fish and inverts that I have to look out for as well so until my plants fill in, I want to keep up with semi-frequent water changes to keep them happy.

So my question is, how viable is a DIY Co2 system on my tank? I have a 50 gallon and I always read that 40 gallons should be the most that you would use a DIY Co2 system on. But is it possible for DIY to provide a tangible on a 50 gallon?

I have been using 2 of the Hagen yeast reactors in my 55 gallon for years and have had good luck with mid demand plants you won't be able to get a lawn affect with it and probably won't grow any high demand plants

You can use DIY CO2 in tanks larger than 20g, but it gets progressively less practical. 29g is about the max I would recommend.

I tried for awhile on a 40g breeder. It didn't do the trick.
I agree with Brian N.

I'm saving up for pressurized as well, why waste the time, effort, and frustration with DIY. Not worth it but its hard to convince yourself when you want progress now!!!

Diy is good while saving for pressurized but for a 55 I would run 2 1gallon reactors with 6c water 6c sugar 1tsp active dry yeast 1tsp baking soda in each and change one mixture every 3 weeks

OK, thanks for the replies.

Now my question is, why is it not viable? Can it cause problems or will it just have no effect whatsoever thereby making it pointless?

OK, thanks for the replies.

Now my question is, why is it not viable? Can it cause problems or will it just have no effect whatsoever thereby making it pointless?

Not so much problems as lack of efficiency, for the amount if work it takes to make DIY co2 workable the output is negligent compared to pressurized and may not even notice an improvement

Back
Top Bottom