To Filter or Not to Filter . . . at night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Relofish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 Gallon eclipse with only live rock, blood shrimp, Clown, Blue Tang and Royal Gramma. These are the only survivors of my ambitiously stocked tank. I've recently become a light sleeper and been bother by the sound of that filter at night. I've been contemplating putting the filter on a timer and having it shut off for 6 hours while I'm in my prime sleep. Will my fish survive this nightly routine. I have a small protein skimmer that I was going to run during the day to help keep the water clean and oxygenated during the day when it is running. Thoughts please. The remaining fish have been with us for almost 2 years.

That's not a good idea. I would suggest moving the tank as well, and return the blue tang. Your tank is WAY too small for that fish.

What level is your water at? If you keep it as high as the filters output, it should be near silent with nothing but a very slight hum of the motor, if that. If your filter is making a loud humming noise, then it may be time to replace as that's a sign that the impeller is rotating off balance.

Back
Top Bottom