To finish the stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

torres

Aquarium Advice Freak
I already have 3 red eye tetra's, 4 neon tetras and 2 mollies in a 60litre.
Im planing to add some more in 1 or 2 months, so what could i get to finish the stocking?
Thanks

Your probably at your stocking limit if not really close with a 60liter which is about 15 US gallons.

Do you have live plants, what type of filter are you running and how often do you do PWC's? These are also a determining factor.

Your probably at your stocking limit if not really close with a 60liter which is about 15 US gallons.

Do you have live plants, what type of filter are you running and how often do you do PWC's? These are also a determining factor.
Only fake plants, filter is a Elite Stingray 15, im doing daily wc at the moment.
When i get my cycle done i will do it once a week of 5 days.

Ok .. sounds good so far.

Adding live plants ... if it's in your future plans ... could help with stocking.
But first thing's first. I'd say once your cycled, you could look to add one more red-eye tetra and maybe two more neons to increase your current schools.

Unfortunately in a 60liter your limited by what you can comfortably fit. If your looking to add a different schooling fish, you could look at cardinal tetras (though they look like neons) or some Rasboras. Also, consider inverts like ghost shrimp. They stay small and have almost no bio-load.

My son has a 10 gal with 3 Neons, 2 Cardinals, 1 male Albino TigerBarb (rehomed from my DT .. was getting bullied) and at least 3 Ghost shrimp. So far so good ... but I also have some plants and Driftwood to help with nitrates and surface area for BB. I have the old school bubbler with Polyfill and Carbon (came with the 10gal kit) so I don't have a heavy duty filter.

Still .. keeping the fish you want in a 15 gal is possible with your set-up.

I had 5 red eye tetras in a 65 litre tank and they were far too active for it. I would consider rehoming them if you have that option. As they get a bit bigger they may also start nipping at the mollies.

The mollies can be quite messy fish I have been told, no personal experience of it. This I feel is getting towards fully stocked.

Platies are good in a tank that size and very colourful. How about a school of 6 Pygmy cory or 2 otos? Shrimp are always good as long as nothing in your tank will eat them. Certainly look at filling out the neons to 6-8.

Ok .. sounds good so far.

Adding live plants ... if it's in your future plans ... could help with stocking.
But first thing's first. I'd say once your cycled, you could look to add one more red-eye tetra and maybe two more neons to increase your current schools.

Unfortunately in a 60liter your limited by what you can comfortably fit. If your looking to add a different schooling fish, you could look at cardinal tetras (though they look like neons) or some Rasboras. Also, consider inverts like ghost shrimp. They stay small and have almost no bio-load.

My son has a 10 gal with 3 Neons, 2 Cardinals, 1 male Albino TigerBarb (rehomed from my DT .. was getting bullied) and at least 3 Ghost shrimp. So far so good ... but I also have some plants and Driftwood to help with nitrates and surface area for BB. I have the old school bubbler with Polyfill and Carbon (came with the 10gal kit) so I don't have a heavy duty filter.

Still .. keeping the fish you want in a 15 gal is possible with your set-up.

I had 5 red eye tetras in a 65 litre tank and they were far too active for it. I would consider rehoming them if you have that option. As they get a bit bigger they may also start nipping at the mollies.

The mollies can be quite messy fish I have been told, no personal experience of it. This I feel is getting towards fully stocked.

Platies are good in a tank that size and very colourful. How about a school of 6 Pygmy cory or 2 otos? Shrimp are always good as long as nothing in your tank will eat them. Certainly look at filling out the neons to 6-8.

I like the idea of having a Shrimp, they look cool.
I really love my red eye tetras and mollies(but molly more), they are very active and they like to play with each other. And mollies are bold haha.
The only reason for me to get more neon tetra is to get them to spread more, they hide alot, but those days they are swimming around abit more.
I was thinking about another sailfin molly, 1 red eye and 2 neon tetra. what you think?
If for that i need to change my water more often when its cycled it would not be a problem.
Thanks for replying!

torres said:
I like the idea of having a Shrimp, they look cool.
I really love my red eye tetras and mollies(but molly more), they are very active and they like to play with each other. And mollies are bold haha.
The only reason for me to get more neon tetra is to get them to spread more, they hide alot, but those days they are swimming around abit more.
I was thinking about another sailfin molly, 1 red eye and 2 neon tetra. what you think?
If for that i need to change my water more often when its cycled it would not be a problem.
Thanks for replying!

Sailfin Molly get far too big for a tank of that size. Sometimes up to 6". I would suggest they need at least a 100 litre, preferable bigger.

You should be ok with the 1 more red eye and definitely more neons.

That said, I suggest you don't add anymore fish until you are fully cycled. This my take a while. My 65litre fish in cycle took 10 weeks! Keep on top of those water changes!

any more advice from anyone?

and thanks for the help already guys

Your tank is small and idk If you have a lid but I think a bamboo shrimp would be awesome they're a lil big but would be awesome to look at. The reason i say anything about the lid is cause I think they have to have a piece of bamboo and bamboo will rot If fully submerged

Not a Bamboo shrimp IMO

They can get up to 3 inches and need to sift water for food.

The size of this tank won't have enough food for it without supplementing some sort of supply, not worth it IMO

Your tank is small and idk If you have a lid but I think a bamboo shrimp would be awesome they're a lil big but would be awesome to look at. The reason i say anything about the lid is cause I think they have to have a piece of bamboo and bamboo will rot If fully submerged
Yes i do have a lid, so far its only going to be some neon tetras, 1 or 2 red eye and the shrimp maybe :D

thanks for the advise

Whats the difference between a Bamboo shrimp and a normal Shrimp ? lol
i was doing searches about it and hes just a cleaner with cool looking isn't it?:D
i watch my aquarium almost all day when im at home, cuz the aquarium is in my bed room so it would be good to have some of them walking around there.
as long my current stock dont try to eat them its fine.

Bamboo shrimp are like ten times bigger then goast shrimp or red cherry shrimp

Back
Top Bottom