toad tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henrysusername

Aquarium Advice Regular
i thought i would post some pics of my toad

Attachments

• IMGA0013.jpg
    IMGA0013.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMGA0014.jpg
    IMGA0014.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMGA0015.jpg
    IMGA0015.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 92
lol, normal would think of this as a exotic tank with a exotic toad. But these are EVERYWHERE in FL. Stupid unnative cane toads.

Nice tank though. Any full tank shots?

It is not a Fowler toad, atleast from what i can see. A fowler toad has a distinctive dotted pattern on its back. Got any better pics of the toads back?

You should pick up a fire belly toad! those things are cool and your setup from what I can tell in the pictures would be perfect for one!

oops never mind on the firebelly toad they need dry land too. Doesn't that toad you have in there need dry land? or is it an african dwarf toad?

it looks like a common american toad.. and there is dry land in the tank..to whoever implied that there was not..

He is a Cane toad. They are everywhere in FL. They are a invasive species. You might need to do a little tank design. They need water to sit in but not that much. They are more of a land creature. It really needs to just be enough for them to sit in and submerse themselves in. I assume you are feeding crickets or some sort of other bug. Also a fire bellied toad would do 1 of 2 things to this tank. The Cane toad would probably eat it eventually and die, or 1 would be have more poison's then the other and kill each other through there toxins.

cane toads - Google Images

*EDIT*
1 more thing, he probably get to big for that tank. WHat size is it?

i cant beleive cane toads get that big do they get lighter as they grow because mine looks alot darker than those pictures and its a 10 gallon

They do get large when talking about toads. They would be good in a 20g i would think. But beware, they can get to 6 pounds. And like i said, they do not need much water. You could just do a large Tupperware bowl with water. I would do substrate. Gravel works, so do wood chips. DO NOT DO SAND, it sticks all over them. Remember that these toads do have health risks. They do secrete poisons through there skin and you need to make sure to wash your hands after handling. Also remember that toads/frogs have a defence that when they are picked up they spray pee. It is not dangerous but be prepared for it. If your a true toad lover you will not mind.

Back
Top Bottom