Todd's 240g Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good luck with the clown tang, those guys literally just rip around the tank all day, pretty cool fish , hope he isn't a bully

This guy said it got along with everything in the tank he broke down. It had a Yellow Tang, Picasso Clown, a couple Dottybacks, a Copperband Butterfly (that I may get later) and a few others. All in a 90g. If it ever gets out of line, it's going back and my guy can sell it. I've known people that had them and they were model citizens and I've also heard all the horror stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well, the Clown Tang did not come as part of the deal, but I am getting the Copperband (which is apparently big and eats frozen Mysis). I've also got them on the lookout for a male Blue Jaw Trigger and some kind of juvenile Angel (Emp, Blue Ring, Majestic). I hope to have them all by the end of the month.

It's one of those things that I wanted to try and see how it went, but more because it was free. It is probably best it took this turn.

The Copperband has been in someone's tank for about a year that supposedly has never had any disease, but my coral guy has it in a QT tank now just to see if the stress from the move triggers anything. I'm giving the CB idea this one last try and if it dies, I am done with them.

Long time, no updates because not much new to report. Decided against the CB.

I've been focused on getting my son's 28 and 60 done. The 28 is up with water and is serving as a QT for a Convict Tang I got last weekend. I started a new thread in the Members section. The gameplan is to QT this Tang then throw into the 240. I'm hoping my fish guy can grab some other fish this weekend. We will see.

I've also decided to convert part of my three tank sump/fuge into a QT under the 240. I have two converted CPR acrylic wet/dry sumps and am going to use the first for QT, cap that off so it is separate and let the tank water dump into the tank that holds my simmer now and that will go into what holds my fuge and return pump.

Here's the Convict "Capone"...
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg579/Todd_Huff/2014-12/3C889FB4-5F66-4DE4-8F53-F28DCD4CB841.jpg
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg579/Todd_Huff/2014-12/C9755552-925B-494F-948B-0084DD1C3945.jpg

Well, it was a rough week...this Convict made it a couple days in QT before getting what looked like two scrapes on it's side. I think those got infected and it was dead by a week. I'm not happy, as it just seemed like dumb luck. My Spotted Rabbitfish that I've had about 10 months died in the 240 too. Looked totally fine, had been acting fine, eating, nothing abnormal. The Longnose hawk and yellow tang are still fine.

On the up side, I found a little warehouse in Los Angeles that sells fish for pretty cheap. I got this Blue Jaw for $35. The guy that picked it up for me got a Magnificent Foxface for $60 (he actually got two) and they threw in a free Coral Beauty and Christmas Wrasse. I've got them working on my juvenile Blue Ring Angel, Harlequin Tusk and Lyretail Hogfish.
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums...12/871FF996-3C64-4533-8A52-CEA2CA7B41A2_1.png

Thanks. It's doing good so far too. Eating Mysis and table shrimp. Getting a little more brave, but I still can't get a better close up shot.

I'm hoping to get out this place next week. They are running a deal where if you spend $100, you get a Christmas wrasse and Coral Beauty. Kind of random, but I plan on spending that much anyways.

I put the Blue Jaw in the 240 yesterday and after spending the entire day and night in the back corner, it came out and ate shrimp this morning. He had me worried yesterday, so this was a huge relief.

I got a really nice looking big Tomini Tang on the 26th. I am still looking for a Lawnmower Blenny for the 60g, but of course they are never around when I want one. If I can find one by next weekend, that will go in the 60, if not, the Tomini might go in to clean for a couple weeks and then into the 240g. We will see...

That's one nice Tomini! It's slowly finally coming together Todd!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How funny about the tomi...I was looking at one just yesterday wishing I had a large enough tank. Finding a healthy looking fish let alone something that isn't super common around me is like getting struck by lightning.

The place that had the Tomini also had a gorgeous Grey Poma Angel for $50. I almost got that too, but only had the 28g set up for observation. My other son's 60 has water in it as of today and we are running a 35g under it as a QT/observation tank for a while. All sorts of room now...

I've got a list with this new connection and they are supposed to let me know when they can get ahold of fish on the list. We will see how they do. They did have a Tomini when the Blue Jaw was picked up, but would not sell it as it had just arrived and they did not feel confident it was doing well enough. Brownie points for them doing that.

I end up getting everything out of my area as the two local LFS are overpriced. I got the Blue Jaw for $35 and they are $60+ around me. Don't see too many "rare" fish out here either.

I'm hoping to make a fish run this weekend. Will see who has what...

Well, I'm glad I put the fish run off because I woke up to find the Tomini covered in Ich and just kinda lying in the back corner. It is still in my son's 28g. I did a freshwater dip and dropped the tank to hypo. It was not looking good initially but swam around after the dip. I'm not sure I got the salinity perfect as I had to rush to work, so will check when I get home.

I'm almost considering starting off hypo for new additions in QT and then slowly raise the salinity the last few days if everything looks good.

Well, it is bad news. the Tomini was dead when I got home. I'm draining the tank, cleaning it out and going to a hypo 35g under my son's 60g. Will see how that goes...will fill the tanks as fish mKe it through QT.

Bummer because this was a really good looking one.

Tangs certainly are. I think that I'm done with them for a while unless I come across some from people breaking down their tanks.

Looks like I might get a Potters Angel from a tank breakdown this weekend (two years old, eats everything, no issues) and I am getting a deal on a blonde Naso, so I might try this last one and if it does not work out, just give up. I've never had Tang issues before, so it's killing me that those have not done well recently.

I'm finally going to get out to this new connection that sells at very close to wholesale. They are getting their first shipment of 2015 this Saturday, so I'm hoping for maybe one more cool fish for my 240 and probably will grab a couple little fish for my sons new 28g. They have the blonde Naso, so it's already a couple weeks in observation with no issues.

I got the Blonde Naso, but the potters Angel was dead when I got there. Of course the person on Craigslist neglected to inform me of that before I drove way out of the way to go get it.

I will get pictures of the Blonde when it is a little less camera shy.

I also got two Bangaii Cardinals (one died) and the tiniest Tomini Tang I have ever seen (just over the size of a quarter). The Bangaii will go in my son's 28g and the Tomini in my. 60g cube.

I just ordered a Lyretail Hogfish and a Grey Poma Angel. Both should arrive this weekend!

The Blonde, Tomini and Cardinal are all doing great. I've always heard bad things about getting tiny Tangs, but this one is not shy and eats like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom