Todd's 240g Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope its not Ich too. That is the last thing I want as soon as I finally got fish into this tank. I'm just not getting why this move would stress it more than being yanked out of the old 240g and then being put into a 45g with a Lion. Seems like this move would be stress- free in comparison.

Regarding the Lion...I've been feeding silversides and shrimp (uncooked from deli counter ). He did not need tongs... He saw me coming and would swim up to where I would drop it in. He did a. 5-6 day hunger strike once , but never looked bad. This time, he is not eating and looks bad.

Hoping the lion gets better. That is a bummer to say the least. Hope he starts eating soon which would be a tremendous help in him healing. You might try tongs for now to see if holding food right in front of him may help. You never know, but worth a shot.

The Lion is still not eating. I'm hoping it is just another hunger strike, but am not holding my breath.

The Singapore looked fine after work yesterday and fine this morning. I'm keeping an eye on her. Would hate to QT and do two months fallow if it is not Ich. If the spots were there all the time, I would feel more confident about an Ich diagnosis. The two Chromis are fine and all three are eating and acting normal.

I know. But the life cycle is not that it appears in the morning, disappears a few hours later and then reappears the next morning...and then only for two mornings. That is what has me baffled. Especially considering that the previous owner said it had never shown signs of anything and that I had it in a holding tank for over two months with no signs of anything. It is not like anything I have seen, or read about. Ich seems the closest due to the spots, but the rest does not add up.

Yeah, the Singapore is kinda the bully, but that was just prior to moving everyone from the holding tank to the 240g.

I will not be adding new fish for a while, so that gives me time to observe more. I frequently am giving advice on treating fish, so of course I end up with something odd in my tank. :)

Very strange Todd. I wish I had an answer . If it were me I would put the angel in hypo . If it breaks out in ich then you know you have to go fallow with the Dt. If not then it was something else . JMO though. Hope you get it figured out soon .

Its funny, but I was just thinking about putting it in my hexagon tank that is empty now and doing hypo. If its Ich, or something else, it goes away. It just leaves the DT questionable, as I would leave the two Chromis in there. I guess if it did break out, I could grab them too. Hmmm...240g with about 275. Lbs of rock...catching them should take no time at all. :)

The Angel and the Bicolor Chromis look like they have something fungal. I'm guessing it could be from being in that holding tank for several weeks. I tried to keep water conditions good, but am thinking that maybe they were not good enough.

If time permits, I am trying to get them out and into QT later today. They are eating and acting fine , but both have white patches. Hard to tell with the Green Chromis, but I'm going after him too.

Sorry to hear that. I always thought fungal issues were very rare in saltwater . Do you think there is any chance of these being stress spots?

Well, this is becoming more and more interesting...I looked at the Angel early afternoon and there was about a 1" vertical red scrape about mid-body. I was able to catch it and get it into my hexagon QT. I am going to try treating with a product called Greenex, which has Malachite green and Quinine HCL. I am going to try to get both Chromis tomorrow at feeding. No way that is happening after I got the Angel. They know a net is looking for them.

I'm not thrilled at this point. Had what appeared to be healthy fish up until days before putting them in the new tank. Now, I am not sure what I have going on and my plans for getting new fish in have stalled. I still think I will get a couple fish towards Christmas and those will go in the 45g for observation. Should know what the outcome of my current fish is by then and I plan to leave the tank fallow now until mid/late January. I am hoping these fish will be cleared up and that I can add the new fish about then too.

I will try to get a picture in the morning. My guess (and beleive me, that's all it is ) is that it is possibly a bacterial infection? Almost looked like it got scrapped... I'm wondering if it occurred when it was going at the Lion and just started showing now? It's a long shot since that was days ago.

Bad news...the Singapore did not make it through the night. It was not looking good at bedtime last night. This is a picture of that area...

image-2266010040.jpg

It looked a lot more red all around it yesterday morning.

I agree...sure looks like a wound to me. It has been in the 240 for about a week. For about a week prior, it was acting weird towards the Lion. It would circle above it and dart down and peck at the body. I'm wondering if it did not get struck by a fin and maybe it just took a while to get infected? Seems like a long shot though. The two Chromis in the tank never hassle anyone, so I am almost certain they had nothing to do with this. Last possibility is it was flashing on a rock and did damage that way? I saw it flash once earlier yesterday, but it was acting perfectly normal prior to that (even with the white spots for a couple mornings and a few small white patches that looked like fungus).

I want to try and get the Chromis out at QT them. I'm not sure what's going on and this is the first tank I have ever had that has stumped me. I'm thinking that leaving it fallow for a few weeks can't hurt...just not what I wanted to do .

Back
Top Bottom