Todd's 60 Gallon Reef Cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never had issues with online, but I buy off of eBay from somewhat local sellers. They discount the shipping, so it works out better. This delivery has just been a mess from the start. Their system does not show and of those last calls to take the hold off, which seems odd.

I'm going to do mixed and see how it goes. So far I've got some mushrooms, some Zoas, a hammer, a Duncan, a couple Favias, a green montipora cap and a Jedi Mind Trick. Everything is doing great.

Awesome I tried doin mixed but keeping the water clean for SPS made life for my soft corals a bit hard so now I have 2 tanks one soft and one LPS haha

That is the issue I predict will come up down the road. I am considering using my 240 for LPS and softies, but have not committed to that yet. I really want a large Angel and a couple dwarf Angels in there and the two don't mix well.

Right now everything is doing great in the 35g that had no filter and no skimmer. One of my Zoas has gone from two polyps to about 18 in three months, but at the same time, my green Monti cap is growing great too.

Yea that's it just give it a go and see what happens I'm doing a 100 gal upgrade and that will be set up as SPS only I have just put a coral beauty In my tank it's a beautiful fish I would like a monti cap but I have never seen one for sale or in tanks at people's houses

In other news...I ordered a Danner Mag9 for the return pump. The Bubble Magus skimmer is here. I'm going to convert the acrylic tank pictured earlier by splitting it lengthwise down the middle with acrylic. I plan to put a 4" sock on the right rear corner...next area will be the skimmer...the water will exit there and hit the front portion of the tank , which will have some live rock and Chaeto...water will swing around into the left side of the tank, through a bubble trap and to the return pump. Hoping to start that tonight and get everything running this weekend.

Lol i hear that, i want to turn my 180 into a reef but i dont have reef safe fish.

Lol i hear that, i want to turn my 180 into a reef but i dont have reef safe fish.

That is my problem. The 240g is empty, so now is the time for me to decide. I really like Angels, so doing reef kills that option. I flip flop daily, so I guess time will tell...

Great work on cleaning the tank up, thing looks brand new!

I paid someone to do it. His bad was quoting without seeing it first. He ended up saying it cost more in materials than he charged. I threw in a little more because I felt bad. He did an awesome job though.

Started the sump/fuge from my existing acrylic tank. Going for a different design...trimmed out a lot of the existing top and split the tank up the middle with a sheet of acrylic and carved out a filter sock holder in the top right corner. My Bubble Magus Nac5 will go next to that. The lower section will be for some live rock and macro algae. Going up along the left side will be live rock/algae, then a bubble trap (might not even be necessary) and the the Danner Mag9 return pump that the seller send regular mail, so it did not arrive today as I had expected it would.
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg579/Todd_Huff/2014-05/F4A7B44C-C4EE-4CC8-ACF5-F7BC4400895F.jpg

I think I am going to put Chaeto up front (just past the skimmer) and then have some rubble on the opposite side from the skimmer. Will probably split the Chaeto and like rock/rubble sections with egg crate and put some after the rock as a secondary catch in case any Chaeto gets loose. I'm still not sure if a bubble trap will be necessary with the distance between the skimmer and return pump and any bubbles having to get through the algae and rocks.

Looking good! I like the idea of splitting the sump length wise, I might actually do that next time.

Looks great! I really don't think you'll need the bubble trap as you said the obstructions will diffuse a lot. Plus after the skimmer breaks in I don't think you will have a lot of bubbles anyway. I'm sure you said it already but what direction are you going with this cube? Mixed or all stony?

It will be mixed . I've already got several frags waiting to go in with a few more coming this week. Some pics are posted earlier in this.

Back
Top Bottom