Todd's Square 35g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just realized that I never updated with this weekend's purchases. Not the best pictures, but got a purple/green Favia. It looks a little rough and dull, but I am hoping it will look better over time.
View attachment 228062 View attachment 228063

And my hopefully not stupid impulse but, a female Leopard Wrasse. I've heard they are tough, but it looked healthy and was eating pellets. We will see how this goes...
View attachment 228064
The pic is from the guy I purchased it from, so only the one on the front, not the one in the back in this picture. I can't get a good shot, as it hides when I get too close .

Nice favia! I love leopards ill be getting one when I move up to a 40. Definitely gotta make sure it's a pig first though

He had them for a couple weeks and they ate pellets. It is only about an inch, so I figure I will upgrade to the 60 cube by the time it needs a little more space.

The Favia is not nearly as bright as some I have seen, so I am hoping it does better over time. It is about 5" and was only $20.

He had them for a couple weeks and they ate pellets. It is only about an inch, so I figure I will upgrade to the 60 cube by the time it needs a little more space.

The Favia is not nearly as bright as some I have seen, so I am hoping it does better over time. It is about 5" and was only $20.

Yeah that sounds good and that's a nice deal for the favia. I'm sure it will come back

Yeah, good pickup on the favia. It'll pick up fast, I'm sure. I had bought one that was slightly nipped a few weeks back and it's vibrant and growing quickly.

Looking forward to it coming together!what paint did you use to spray? I've used acrylic paint but over time it chips away and if saltwater gets on it you can see a line going down through the tank.

Oh, and I was only asking because I was looking at a 35 cube for my 3rd floor bedroom but I'd like to fit a 45 cube instead but I'm worried about the weight with a 20g sump, rock, water, etc. Anyway, I don't want to hijack.

You can have someone come out and look at your house to make sure the floor will hold the weight . I have a 75 gal on the third floor in my house with no problems. I too was concerned and had a contractor come out and look at it to be for sure it wouldnt end up in the basement lol.

You can have someone come out and look at your house to make sure the floor will hold the weight . I have a 75 gal on the third floor in my house with no problems. I too was concerned and had a contractor come out and look at it to be for sure it wouldnt end up in the basement lol.

Yeah might be a good option too lol but I have a supporting beam almost right under the tank.

Well, it looks like this might become a 50g corner acrylic tank. Not exactly the 60g cube I was planning on, but might have a deal I can't pass up...

Gonna go take a look this Saturday afternoon. $50 for an acrylic tank with oak stand is just too good to pass up. I just need to figure out how to work filtration. I had purchased a CPR Bacpak HOB skimmer for the 27g. I'm not sure that it will fit with the back corner angle if I get this new tank. I kinda wanted to avoid doing a sump/skimmer initially just to keep costs down, so we will see. I think I am just going to do corals and maybe a Randall's goby/shrimp pair, a Rainsford goby, maybe another swimming fish or two. Want to keep a light bioload.

Wow, that's a steal! The CPR should fit well but it would also be a question of taste, if you'd want the tank flush with the wall or not.

It seems like a good deal. The tank is $250 new, without the stand. I will re-stain the stand darker to match our bedroom furniture, but that's easy enough. I'm going to see how it looks.

I'm concerned that the hole up top is not square to either of the sides, so the CPR might not sit correctly. Maybe I can dremmel a section out on one side to make it fit. Might even drill and add bulkheads for a future sump addition. I just know this is hitting about the same time my 240g will be back up and running, so I'll be torn on which tank to dump money into.

My vote is the 240! Although, drilling sounds like a good idea. I don't think I'm ever doing a tank without a sump again.

It looks like I'm going to have to end this thread and start a new "Todd's 50g Corner Pentagon Reef Tank".

I'm going to check it out tomorrow afternoon and unless it is in bad shape, it's coming home with me. I've got a buyer lined up for my tank too, so the timing worked out great. Fingers crossed...

Fun weekend ahead too. I'm also stopping by a newly relocated fish store called Reef Lounge in Anaheim. It used to be a little place and they moved and added an insane amount of corals and frags plus they have an impressive selection of fish. I'll take pics and put those up tomorrow as well...

I hate Craigslist. Idiot seller decides to ignore me yesterday (and today) after saying they would hold it for me to pick up today.

I hate when that happens. I'm assuming he has gotten back to you by now?

Looks like I have an acrylic 60g cube with stand lined up now for only $70. Looks a little rough, but I can work with wood and the acrylic can be buffed if need be. This is exactly the size I wanted, so I am very excited.

Going to get a Randall's Goby/Pistol Shrimp pair and some Nassarius snails for this tank and some Chromis for my 240g this weekend too, so things are coming together (finally) for both tanks. :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396580508.905813.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396580525.987498.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396580539.088281.jpg

Look what I got. It is 24x 24x 24 in rough shape. Crazy how much the extra 10"!in height makes.

It doesn't look too scratched up, but it's very foggy. I think some is just film, but we will see. I'm going to try to buff it out (worked well on car headlights ), I just need to see what is safe to use to buff it. I'm also going to sand the stand and stain it to look like the other stand.

It has a center overflow, which I did not even see on the Craigslist ad. I may throw a 10 or 15g underneath and use the CPR BakPak for now. Just need to find a return pump.

Back
Top Bottom