Too hard to pass up....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I added 3 new GBR's to one of my breeder tanks. I did a major PWC and got the nitrite to well below .25ppm. Also added Prime as well. I'll do PWC's as needed as well, daily if needed. But for such few fish, I think it could possibly be near cycled. Will monitor the tank very closely, need to QT them anyways. Don't want to add anything new to my large tanks, lol, like ick again, lol. I bought the 3 GBR's at the LFS here. They must have had a new shipment that I didn't know about, lol. They look totally awsome, and the colors were so much cooler than mine, lol. And the males are a bit larger than mine. Wondering if maybe I got wilds, as their details are so much more defined. Will use the breeder tank as a QT. I got 2 males and a female. The female at the LFS looked to be paired off with one of the males, and the other male was cruising the tank. So I got all 3. After QT-ing, I'll place the 3rd male in with a bunch of females in the other breeder tank and see who he might pair off with. Then will remove any remaining females.

But anyways, you guys know me, right? LOL

Sadly as I posted in the sick fishies forum...2 died while I was away this weekend. I was almost expcting all 3 to be dead. 2 of them didn't look good when I left but the 3rd at least looks fine.

All 3 here at the lfs looked very healthy and colorful, so I got them. They are doing great. The female keeps chasing off the 2nd male, so I need to get him out tomorrow. He'll get some girls of his own, lol.

Sorry to hear about the losses. It's very hard finding good stock.

Not sure if it was the stock. I think one of the two was injured somehow after introduction to that tank...possibly from some fighting I saw. Good luck with yours :)

LWB - great colors on the new rams ! there's no way you could have passed them up. I was trying to figure out which one is the female - since you already know, tell me LOL

Pink belly, lol....
Also, the pelvic fins don't reach the anal fin. The males do.

There were only 3 left, and they had them in with JD's, lol. Had to rescue them from the aggressive JD's, lol.

Congrats Wolf. When I first started reading the thread I thought, what no pics? LOL glad to see I didn't have to be disappointed. Great pics!

Now what I think is incredible is the gold on the females. It's so sparkly. Also, her black gets so defined as well, and looks incredibly sharp. She's so hot, LOL.... 8O

Edit:
For those who missed it, I'm talking about Breeder Tank B.

Lonewolfblue said:
No, they are open spawners. They lay eggs either on a flat surface or in a pit they dig out.

but they protect the babies though? after they hatch?

Sometimes....

Usually they will eat the eggs. They don't protect them in their mouths. They chase off any preditors that come in the area, if in with other fish. Mine in the 75G usually have 2-3 pits dug, and after the eggs hatch, they will move the wigglers to a new pit. Usually under some plant roots for added protection.

Back
Top Bottom