Too many fish for a 40g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7bubbles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I currently have:
4 Platys
1 Swordtail
2 Mollys
4 Corydoras
5 Glass catfish
1 Apple snail
1 Siamese fighting fish

I would like to add some Cardinal Tetras (6 or 7) plus some Rummynose Tetras (6 or 7). Would that be too much? So far I have been doing 20% pwc and I test the water on a weekly basis indicating all levels are good.

What do you think? Would it be too many fish if I add the 14 tetras?

I would not add two schools of tetras. If I were you I would pick one species that I liked the best and stock 10 of them. 14 fish just seems like a lot considering they would inhabit the same level of the aquarium, but it might work out.

Would 5 Cardinals and 5 Rummynose be better than 10 of the same? Or 5 is too small for a school?

I would go with 10 of the same species. I know it is hard to decide on one, but if you get a larger school of the same species, the fish will thank you.

Cool, thanks for the advise. One last question: would the tetras be ok with the Betta (Siamese fighting fish)?

What is the nitrate concentration? It is impossible to determine how a tank is stocked without knowing the water quality. You may be overstocked now, or have room for 30+ more fish.

I test the water on a weekly basis and Nitrate has been constant at 40 for the last 9 weeks whe I started stocking the tank

What is the nitrate concentration of the tap water? The nitrate concentration should be below 20ppm before a water change, not 40ppm all the time. I think you need to figure out why it is so high before you even think about adding more fish that will only make it higher.

Fishguy2727 said:
What is the nitrate concentration of the tap water?

That's a good question. I just re-tested the aquarium and the tap water. Results are pretty much the same: 40.

I use an API master kit (drops not strips) so I assume the results are accurate.

I live in the south east of England, where the water is quite hard and pH is constantly over 8. Maybe I should start a new thread on water conditions.

Back
Top Bottom