Too many fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishLover1239

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I have a ten gallon tank with 1 guppy,1 swordtail,1 molly,5 neon tetras,and 1 algae eater. Can I have one more betta or guppy, or is it already too many fishes? Please reply soon.:-D

If you do get another molly, make SURE it is the same sex as the one you have now. They have a tough time not making babies, just like platies and guppies. I trusted the place I bought my last platy at...I wanted 2 girls since I had a girl. No problem. They sold me 1 boy and 1 girl! They the girls had frys and they everyone started eating the baby frys and pretty soon I had over 50 babies in a 55 gallon tank. But not for long...the other fish kinda took care of the population explosion.
So if you get another molly, do the same sex match. It is so much nicer! :)

Hello,

Just a little side note: Asking for just females is not a good way to keep livebearers from reproducing as most livebearers can actually store sperm for months and even years. This means that if they have ever come into contact with a male (and they are usually kept with the males at the pet shop), then they will produce young every month or two for the rest of their lives. Since this is the case, going with males is a lot better.

Additionally, AquaAdvisor is a great tool but another option is my stocking calculator spreadsheet (HMF Home (MOA's: How Many Fish?, Stocking Freshwater Aquariums)). You can download it to your computer so that you don't have to be online when using it. No less, AquaAdvisor is pretty awesome too :).

MOA

what kind of algae eater is it? an actual chinese or siamese or some catfish? some of them can easily outgrow a 10 gallon with a few months time. . .

Its not exactly an algea eater but it is a fish that eats algae. It is a Otocinclus

Let 'em breed!... fry make good nutritious food for the other fishies!
Might sound cruel, but... that's exactly how it works in those South American estuaries these fish come from!

FishLover1239 said:
Hello. I have a ten gallon tank with 1 guppy,1 swordtail,1 molly,5 neon tetras,and 1 algae eater. Can I have one more betta or guppy, or is it already too many fishes? Please reply soon.:-D

Yes you can add one or two more if you like

FishLover1239 said:

Too many
The swordtail, Molly, neons, and algae eater(unless it is an oto) need a 20 long or a 30 as they get large. if the algae eater is a common pleco or any other large fish it needs a large tank too
The Molly will be VERY aggressive in a small tank IME

absolutangel04 said:
Thanks for helping out, but since this thread is from January 2010, I think it has run its course already.

Oops!
Sometimes I'm such a dork

Back
Top Bottom