Too many guppies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orlon11

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got some endler/guppy crosses a few weeks ago. The guy I got them from said that the females eat their fry and that if I wanted to raise any I would have to put them in a breeder net.

Well...it doesn't look like that's true. They started dropping fry a couple weeks ago, and now I have 30 or so swimming around my tank.

I was hoping a couple would make it through to maintain the colony, but I can't have this many. I don't think I can pass more than a few on to a fish store, guppies are not exactly hard to come by.

So I'm looking for something that could help control my fry population, but without eating the other fish in the tank. It's a planted 25 gallon, and I have cherry shrimp, threadfin rainbows, clown killies, scarlet badis, kuhli loaches and a bulldog pleco.

Is there any fish that could work?

Common sense isn't dead after all

Sure glad I didn't say something stupid like donating them to a frat initiation party.....

Dwarf gourami are hit or miss. Some eat them with gusto, some ignore them completely. Even with them munching the babies you'll still have more survive than you'd like. Best option is to keep all males and donate the rest to your LFS, or cull them as previously suggested.

pygmy sparkling gourami since they are big enough to eat baby fish but small enough not to bother the red cherry shrimp. the dwarf gourami would definitely enjoy red cherry shrimp too.

I've decided to separate the females and put them in a ten gallon tank. Now I just need to decide on a small fish that will be able to live in the ten and hopefully take out at least some of the fry.

An Angelfish will keep the population under control. Also, Bettas, Bumblebee Gobys, Black Tetras

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom