Too many snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stretch

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just came home to my parent's place for a few days, and my mom's 10g tank is overrun with snails. I'm not sure what kind they are. She added some live plants, I'm guessing they came with the plants. She says that she removes about 20 snails a week, and can't seem to slow these guys down. What do you guys reccomend?

I think she has 2 danios and 2 other fish, not sure what type they are. Thanks!

Try putting a lettuce leaf in every night and removing it with the snails the congregate on it. Any snail eating fish wont fit in a ten gallon tank. Also try to limit feedings to keep the population under control.

if they're MTS (the have an abnormally long spirally shell, {like a bugle chip) alot of people, including myself would love to take them off your hands

MTS are usually not as common to hitch. They are probably pond snails and I would go with Rich's idea. I have tried this and been succesful.

Dont use chemicals.

The lettuce trick works - actually any veggie will work. If you get to the tank before the sun comes up you'll find the little pests congregated on it.

Mike469 said:
MTS are usually not as common to hitch. They are probably pond snails and I would go with Rich's idea. I have tried this and been succesful.

Dont use chemicals.

I agree, the mostly likely candidates are pond, mystery or ramshorns. If you can describe the shell, the ID will be forthcoming.

I don't quite know how to describe them, the just look like a common snail that you'd find crawling on the sidewalk. I'm not sure if she's overfeeding or not, the tank seems to be pretty clean. The lettuce trick seems to work well, I think she's going to keep trying that, feeding as little as possible, and picking some of them out by hand. Thanks for the help.

ok my betta does not eat snails as stupid me transfered them to all 3 of my fish tanks.
you dont have much room for a loach or anything.
Correct me if im wrong u could use salt and kill them?

Man if you come across a small Clown Loach or two at your LFS, they just love snails. I use to move them from tank to tank every few months and let them go to town.

Only problem is, they will out grow the tank. But then again, it is probably time to up-grade the ten gallon and keep it for a breeding, plant or hospital tank.

i bought 3 yo-yo loaches. one dissapeared but since i moved my whole tank. and set it up ive seen a total of like 3 snails. So they are just great. well the loaches are.

I have 2 skunk botia loaches that i use to clear out snails. They haven't gotten very big and are only in the tanks with snails when I get hitchhikers. Otherwise they live in their own tank with a pleco and a couple swords.

The lettuce thing will work even better if you use a bottle or jar to put the lettuce in so the snails climb into the jar and don't drop off when you remove the lettuce. I guess a small saucer works to but I haven't tried it yet. Boiling the lettuce works to attract them better as pond snials like dead vegetation and will swarm to it. I think it is like 10 second or something. Just enough to make it smell more to the snails I guess.

What do you guys reccomend?

Send them to me! It's illegal to buy snails in my state. You can only give them away legally. I'd love some snails for my tank!

See, but I think these are more like parasites. They multiply like crazy and will overrun your tank. There's probably close to 50 of them in my mom's 10g.

Stretch said:
See, but I think these are more like parasites. They multiply like crazy and will overrun your tank. There's probably close to 50 of them in my mom's 10g.

Cool! Then I might have 150 of them!

If they end up becoming that big of a deal, I'll buy a couple of crabs since they will pick at snails.

It just feels wrong to have a tank without any snails :(

I was gonna post a long drawn out tale of my mysterious invaders, then in a quick search for pics of MTS, I found the following quote with nifty pics and descriptions(Link to original site):
Malaysian trumpet snail (Melanoides tuberculata)
These interesting little critters are sometimes found on aquatic plants, too; some people love them and others think they're a plague. There are different species with slightly different shell colours, but they are easily identified by their spiral "tower" shaped shells. Malaysian trumpet snails (often abbreviated as MTS) do not eat healthy live plants, but they will eat just about anything else they can get their radulae on—dead or dying plant matter, leftover fish food, some algae (if there is nothing they like better) and dead tankmates. If something dies in a tank with MTS in it and you want to get it out before they eat it, you'd better hurry because they don't waste any time. MTS are nocturnal snails and spend the daylight hours burrowing in the substrate. They will do their best to burrow in gravel, but love sandy substrate and because they burrow, will act as "aquatic earthworms" to help keep sand aerated. Though they are not large snails and usually don't grow over 1", they are prolific and reportedly parthenogenic, so even if you start with only one, don't count on ending up with only one because that is MOST unlikely! Don't look for egg clutches with these guys; they are livebearing snails.

I can confirm that they do NOT need a partner to breed as my 10g now has about 100+ young MTS, few larger than the grains of sand in my substrate... My Cory cats are hardly touching them, Betta can't seem to be bothered/interested in them. I've seen the mollies pick a few up, but can't tell if they're actually scoring a snack or not.

Any advice on how to get the little ones out before they grow up and have a 3rd generation explosion? I'll be trying the lettuce thing this weekend, but I get the impression that's more for pond snails. TIA

Back
Top Bottom