Too much water flow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just wondering if more flow to a sump is good or if it their can be too much. I am working on a 10 to 15 gallon sump and was wondering to go with the 600 gph or the 1200 gph overflow box (29 gallon main). Which one would be best to go with? TIA..........

Well as they say you can never have too much flow, but in this case I think a 600gph is plenty. It really all depends on what size pump you are going to use. If your pump is more than 600gph then you need to go with a larger box. The overflow box does not control the flow rate, the return pump does. The overflow box just needs to be rated as high or higher than the return pump you are using at the height you are using it.

So, if your pump is rated at 700gph and you only have a 600gph overflow your main will overflow. If you have a 700 gph pump and a 1200 overflow box your flow will not exceed 700 gph.

HTH,

keep in mind also that your pump isn't going to get max flow when it has to push water 3-4 feet up.

I have mine set up with a 1000gph box with an aquaclear 70 pump...400gph

Works really good.

Also, it depends on what type of filtration you are employing in the sump. Think about the contact time. If you are running a skimmer, the more contact time, the better. Think about it like stripping ammino acids was like stealing hubcaps... would you do better on the interstate, or in a parking lot?

Back
Top Bottom