Took in some orphaned fish, need opinions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My brother-in-law broke down his 30 gallon tank tonight and I adopted his stock. I am now the proud owner of:

3x kuhli loaches
2x Jumbo neon tetras
1x Otto
1x Sting Ray Pleco
3x ghost shrimp

They are all living in a 20 gallon tank that is cycling with seeded media. Other than having to increase the school size for the neons, does everything else look ok? And, do I still have room for another small school of small fish like cherry barbs?

I read that the pleco also needs more of its own kind to be happy. Does the otto need a school as well? And, will the Kuhli's and shrimp eat the same food as the rest of the tanks occupants?

My brother-in-law broke down his 30 gallon tank tonight and I adopted his stock. I am now the proud owner of:

3x kuhli loaches
2x Jumbo neon tetras
1x Otto
1x Sting Ray Pleco
3x ghost shrimp

They are all living in a 20 gallon tank that is cycling with seeded media. Other than having to increase the school size for the neons, does everything else look ok? And, do I still have room for another small school of small fish like cherry barbs?

Kuhli loaches need large schools. I have over a dozen of them. I don't think they belong in anything smaller than a 30 gallon, judging by my personal experience with the species.

Otos need at least 3 but more is preferable. Don't be surprised if you lose the one you have. They really need to be in established tanks, as they don't generally do well with changing water parameters.

Your hillstream loach (stingray pleco) requires pretty specific tank environment. It needs well oxygenated water and a fast current. If these conditions aren't met, it can suffocate and die. It also requires a sand substrate. Hopefully, that's what you have.

Cherry barbs, also from my experience with them, require a minimum 30 gallons. They're not all that small.

I would get 4 more neons and 2 more ottos but not until later. Wait to see if everyone makes it though the cycle and they're healthy.

Were you able to use the stuff from the tank where they came from - like the whole filter and gravel and such? or was it from somewhere different or only a small amount? If you were able to use lots of their tank you might not see a cycle but I would still wait a while to get more fish, test the water (get a test kit if you don't have one) and do pwc if the levels spike.

Good luck and enjoy your new friends!!

I would get 4 more neons and 2 more ottos but not until later. Wait to see if everyone makes it though the cycle and they're healthy.

Were you able to use the stuff from the tank where they came from - like the whole filter and gravel and such? or was it from somewhere different or only a small amount? If you were able to use lots of their tank you might not see a cycle but I would still wait a while to get more fish, test the water (get a test kit if you don't have one) and do pwc if the levels spike.

Good luck and enjoy your new friends!!

I wasnt able to get any of the media or anything from the tank they came out of. He had it broke down and washed by the time I got there. I am using media from my cycled tanks to seed. So rat no ammonia what so ever and everything seems to be doing fine. I'm doing daily 25% water changes.

How can I increase the current in my tank for the Hillstream loach? I am using a bubble bar already so there is plenty of oxygen in the water.

You may be able to adjust the current by the filter bar, if you have that type of filter, or get a powerhead, as long as there is water movement all the way to the bottom of the tank he should be ok. The best way to test this is with flowing plants. Do all the plants move and sway in water? If they don't move around, its not enough current.

I don't know a bunch about that loach so do some checking around. Make sure that is what it is. I mean no disrespect but I have a neighbor that swears he has Golden Zebra Loaches but he has Clown Loaches, I don't think they really look alike but whatever, the water is the same so I don't fight with him about it. Google it and look at the pics to "double check" what you have before you change things.

I would keep a close eye on the water. You might want to get some tetra safe start to add to the tank, it helps speed things along and it may do better than what you took from your tanks. If you do READ THE DIRECTIONS! If you used something to lock the ammonia you will need to give that 24 hrs or so to "leave" the water before you can use it and then you don't do a pwc for a couple weeks. Either way keep a close eye on the cycle and do pwc if when the levels go up. I wouldn't worry about the pwc until you start to see something happening.

Most likely you will loose the otto, if you can you might want to move him to a cycled tank and get him friends. They just don't do well with the flux of the cycle.

You may be able to adjust the current by the filter bar, if you have that type of filter, or get a powerhead, as long as there is water movement all the way to the bottom of the tank he should be ok. The best way to test this is with flowing plants. Do all the plants move and sway in water? If they don't move around, its not enough current.

I don't know a bunch about that loach so do some checking around. Make sure that is what it is. I mean no disrespect but I have a neighbor that swears he has Golden Zebra Loaches but he has Clown Loaches, I don't think they really look alike but whatever, the water is the same so I don't fight with him about it. Google it and look at the pics to "double check" what you have before you change things.

I would keep a close eye on the water. You might want to get some tetra safe start to add to the tank, it helps speed things along and it may do better than what you took from your tanks. If you do READ THE DIRECTIONS! If you used something to lock the ammonia you will need to give that 24 hrs or so to "leave" the water before you can use it and then you don't do a pwc for a couple weeks. Either way keep a close eye on the cycle and do pwc if when the levels go up. I wouldn't worry about the pwc until you start to see something happening.

Most likely you will loose the otto, if you can you might want to move him to a cycled tank and get him friends. They just don't do well with the flux of the cycle.

I have cycled at least 3 other tanks with fish in and never lost a fish so, I'm not worried. I pay close attention to details. With the otto, I'm more concerned with keeping the right amount for him to feel happy. Same with the rest of my fish. I just dont want to add anything more for a week or so so I dont overload the bioload of the tank.

Sounds like you got it covered! :)

The otto cats are best kept in groups in a stable tank. Any kind of ups and downs in the water and he will suffer. If you have room I would put him in a different tank. If the water doesn't change overly then he would be fine where he is. Just get him friends when you are through the cycle.

Sounds like you got it covered! :)

The otto cats are best kept in groups in a stable tank. Any kind of ups and downs in the water and he will suffer. If you have room I would put him in a different tank. If the water doesn't change overly then he would be fine where he is. Just get him friends when you are through the cycle.

I got paranoid about losing him so he is acclimating to go into another established tank.

ccross said:
I got paranoid about losing him so he is acclimating to go into another established tank.

The main problem IMHO is that a new tank has no biofilm or Algae. Some Otos won't eat processed food.

Also to provide enough current for your Hillstream, it may be too much for your Neons ?

My friend has her Hillstreams in a 60g with 2 big HOB filters and a powerhead. The plants sway all over and the Hillstreams cling to the large smooth rocks. Their only tank mates for now are
Stiphodon percnopterygionus. Her Percs are similar. Scooting around the rocks, playing in the current.

The main problem IMHO is that a new tank has no biofilm or Algae. Some Otos won't eat processed food.

Also to provide enough current for your Hillstream, it may be too much for your Neons ?

My friend has her Hillstreams in a 60g with 2 big HOB filters and a powerhead. The plants sway all over and the Hillstreams cling to the large smooth rocks. Their only tank mates for now are
Stiphodon percnopterygionus. Her Percs are similar. Scooting around the rocks, playing in the current.

THe Hillstream is eating algae wafers and veggies at the moment while the algae builds in the tank. The neons are Jumbo's BUT, if the current gets too much, I can move them to another tank as well. Thats not an issue. I am using a power filter and bubble bar and there seems to be a good amount of current. The Hillstream likes to stay stuck to the underside of the filter.

Just added the Otto to my main tank. He's munching away on the diatom infestation I have in there. He's loving it, jumping from plant to plant. He does a good job too, lol.

Also added some more sand to my 20 gallon and the Kuhli's are finally starting to burrow. I need to get some more ornaments or rocks they can hide under. Right now they stay huddled in a cave but its a bit to big.

Good to hear they are all settling in :)

They dont seem to like the pool filter sand. I'm wondering if it isnt too coarse for them. The tank they came from had gravel in it so I figured the PFS would be fine.

Give them time. Let them settle and see if they burrow. If they can burrow they are fine.

What makes you think they don't like it ??

Kinda hard to explain. They just act like they dont want to burrow into it.

Back
Top Bottom