Alright guys, really need some opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YaBuddyHuddie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have posted more times about this than should probably be allowed, lol. But my stock has changed many times. I really need some opinions on how I should finish stocking this tank.
It's a 29 gallon planted. I currently have only one TopFin 30 filter but I'll be adding a TopFin 40 to run as a second filter after Christmas. Current stock includes:
1 male swordtail
1 male guppy
1 female black Molly
10 neon tetras
5 albino corries
Rapidly growing colony of cherry shrimp

I've thought of many things to add such as:
1 female Dalmatian Molly

A school of 5 glolight, blood fin, x-ray, OR other tetras (tell me some recommended species)

1 bristle nosed pleco

5 ghost catfish

5 male cherry barbs (afraid for my shrimps' lives)

And a lot of other things I can't think of at the moment. It's a lot to swish over.

I have posted more times about this than should probably be allowed, lol. But my stock has changed many times. I really need some opinions on how I should finish stocking this tank.
It's a 29 gallon planted. I currently have only one TopFin 30 filter but I'll be adding a TopFin 40 to run as a second filter after Christmas. Current stock includes:
1 male swordtail
1 male guppy
1 female black Molly
10 neon tetras
5 albino corries
Rapidly growing colony of cherry shrimp

I've thought of many things to add such as:
1 female Dalmatian Molly

A school of 5 glolight, blood fin, x-ray, OR other tetras (tell me some recommended species)

1 bristle nosed pleco

5 ghost catfish

5 male cherry barbs (afraid for my shrimps' lives)

And a lot of other things I can't think of at the moment. It's a lot to swish over.

I don't know if the male livebearers harass your female livebearer. But I would suggest getting more female livebearers. Then I wouldn't stock anything else.

I have heard that the ghost catfish are pretty boring, chattery just hover in one place, and only move sometimes when fed.

I have 5 Ghost-Cat .. They were quiet shy at first .. The only way I could get them to eat was to turn the aquarium light off while feeding... They did hide a lot... But after they settled in (about 2 weeks) they are super active now... No more hiding they swim around the front of the aquarium all day... =))

Hmmm.... What about some rainbows? They are my favorite schooling fish, beautiful color and pretty active.

A bigger concern with all this I guess is would I be overstocked if I added another school of tetras/rainbowfish/barbs or a bigger fish like a molly or BNP?

In my 29 I had
2 black angels
2 high-fin black skirt tetra
5 columbian tetra
12 neons
1 swordtail and her 6 babies
2 platys
1 Zebra danio
3 corys
1 common pleco
1 yo yo loach

And everyone got along fine for almost 10 months till last week when I upgraded to my 55 gallon. Now they all seem even happier in their new bigger tank. :)

I don't know if the male livebearers harass your female livebearer. But I would suggest getting more female livebearers. Then I wouldn't stock anything else.

Guppy stays to himself and the male sword and the Molly are peaceful with each other.

So am I really not stocked that close to capacity? The way everyone is talking, I can add a lot more.

From everythin that I read my tank was way overstocked but all my fish got along just fine. The biggest thing u need to worry about is filtration and keeping up with ur water changes. And of course the fish getting along lol

And as for the livebearers. Right now I have 1 female and 6 male "teens". The female isnt the mother I got her after their mother died and they were still to small to tell the sex. They chase her around a lot more since they r getting older but she doesnt seemed stressed. So i think it really depends on the fish

Yea mine says im at 150% and thats in my new 55 gallon. I had all the same fish in a 29 gallon for almost 10 months without problems

Wow lol maybe I'll add some then. I really like cherry barbs but I'm afraid they'll eat my shrimp.

The reason you have to watch about putting too much more in your tank is because the molly and the sword have high bio-loads and they, especially the male sword can get really big with time. I've seen a male sword that was over 5 inches long. Mollies can grow quiet large themselves. So all this being said and taking into consideration your shrimp and general stocking IMO the only thing you could possibly add is 5 small Harliquen Rasboras or 5 Rummynose Tetras. I think a molly and BNP would add too much to the bio-load. Cherry Barbs actually can get good sized and I think they would eat your shrimp.

The reason you have to watch about putting too much more in your tank is because the molly and the sword have high bio-loads and they, especially the male sword can get really big with time. I've seen a male sword that was over 5 inches long. Mollies can grow quiet large themselves. So all this being said and taking into consideration your shrimp and general stocking IMO the only thing you could possibly add is 5 small Harliquen Rasboras or 5 Rummynose Tetras. I think a molly and BNP would add too much to the bio-load. Cherry Barbs actually can get good sized and I think they would eat your shrimp.

What about a Molly or a BNP? Not both but one?

Back
Top Bottom