Topping off with bottled water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rittz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is it safe to add regular bottled water to my aquarium without adding any chlorine remover or anything?

Sent from my C5155 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Generally not a good idea for two reasons. One is that bottled water often does contain chlorine just like tap water. Another is that it is often void of minerals needed to maintain a healthy pH. Some people use bottles spring waster, but I avoid the whole issue by just treating my own tap water. That assumes that your tap water doesn't have really high nitrates or a very high or low pH.

Thanks, didn't think so. My friends Betta lives in nothing but bottled water. Its obviously too risky for me. Thanks for helping!

Thanks, didn't think so. My friends Betta lives in nothing but bottled water. Its obviously too risky for me. Thanks for helping! Sent from my C5155 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My pleasure. People do all kinds of things with bettas that they really shouldn't. They are remarkably hardy fish, but they would be better off with pretty much the same treatment as other freshwater tropicals. Have a great night!

Same to you! :)

Back
Top Bottom