Topping up with sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suni

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an established 3 yr. old marine live sand bed that's beginning to look quite messy with all the stones and shell fragments surfacing, thanx to my cleaner crew that includes an Orange Lip Conch. Thinking of topping it with fine clear white sand, of course after rinsing. Any suggestions ?

The fine sand will sink below the coarse stuff and always be a problem. I'd take the time to remove it if it were me.

How are your nitrates by the way as that coarse stuff you have has the tendency to hold a lot of nasty stuff inside and make nitrates higher?

Fine sand

Thanx. for that advise. I'll try & remove the fragments ASAP. Will I end up disturbing or killing the friendly bacteria doing so ? Also, pl. advise if this new sand would spike my Nitrate or Phosphate level. Nitrate level presently is around the 20 mark.

The friendly bacteria is on the rock. Make large amounts of new water during the process and be ready to do water changes. Get dry, aragonite sand. Rinsed very well. The only spike from new sand might be a small dust storm for a short bit, but not nitrate or phosphate.

Back
Top Bottom