Total Beginner and Geek

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArsenalOfColor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I got my 3 gallon tank stocked a couple weeks ago and have just been totally geeking out in my free time about future tanks and acquisitions. I'm a big lover of colors so my focus has been on shrimp and plants mostly in my research. So the idea of having an awesome aquascaped tank with a shrimp colony just sounded too cool.

So I stupidly or brilliantly went on craigslist and found a 55 gal L, with stand heater filter lights gravel driftwood and rocks for 60$ O_O. Now it is late here where I live but I'm so excited to get this whole thing kicking I kinda want to get a plan going and get input from others.

So my 3 gallon right now has a few neon tetras and 5 Red Cherry Shrimp, a bit of java moss along with two other mosses from my LFS. The goal for it currently is to create as big of a colony of Red Cherry Shrimp as it can for the 55 gallon once the 55g is established. After I move the RCS into the 55g I plan to stock some Royal Blue Tiger Shrimp from Flipaquatics in it after that and get a colony going of those eventually for the 55g.

My plan for the 55 gallon is probably pretty ambitious for experience. But this is generally how I jump into new hobbies hard fast extreme and right into only things that interest me in other ways. Also I'm lazy. So my goal for the 55gL is to have an environmentally balanced aquarium, or at least to develop the nutrient systems to be incredibly stable thus reducing my work while pursuing my love of energy efficient and sustainable systems.

The 55gL is going to have white pool filter sand as the substrate, 2 sponge filters, almost 200w of T4 fluoro lighting, a heater, be heavily aquascaped, stocked with Red Cherry Shrimp, Royal Blue Tiger Shrimp, and Endler Livebearers.

So things I'm curious about:
What are some easy to care for vibrant plants I should have for my Aquascape? Currently considering Red Moss, Round Pellia, Triangle moss, Purple Cabomba, Dwarf Hairgrass, perhaps something that is well known for eating up the nitrites, Like I said I like really striking sharp eye catching colors (hence the Endlers above as well)

Which brings me to my next question, what to stock? Shrimp seem really cool and the colors are awesome. I've seen so many weird things with researching Endlers though. Most high quality Endlers appear to be mostly orange and black with a bit of green blue splashed in but others, which I'm assuming are Endler hybrids (mixed with guppies right?), are INSANELY colorful like freaking rainbows. Is the info I've pieced to together from around the web correct? Either way any other colorful tank mates that anyone can suggest.

Oh I should mention while I'm not serious about breeding or having high quality amazing Endlers, I would like to breed them so they are continuously in the community tank and showing up in new and beautiful patterns.

Final question. If anyone can point me into info on maintaining a balanced aqua environment I'd really appreciate it!

So a few things have changed and the plan has developed.

Another craigslist seller is also letting go of his 55 gal for ridiculously low price.

Tank Goals

Community Tank:
Red Cherry Shrimp
Royal Blue Tiger Shrimp
Endlers only
Heavily Heavily Planted

Crawfish Tank:
Red Cherry Shrimp (living food colony for the Crawfish)
Probably Royal Blue Tiger Shrimp as well
Endler and Guppy mix
Electric Blue and White Crawfish 3 of each

3 Gall will become a QT or shrimp/fish breeder

Eventual 30 gallon for mating Crawfish and allowing mother to birth.

Plan of attack

Stage 1:
3G Currently turning out a RCS colony 5 shrimps and i think 2 of the 3 females are ready to berry.

Thoughts on the first 55g (A). I was considering going out and collecting local crawfish specimens to see if I came back with any thing cool and crazy locally and really just to have them until I'm ready for the financial plunge of electric blues and whites. But my concern is bringing a local wild population into the tank that will eventually house precious strains is risky, diseases etc, I think and would really appreciate comments and thoughts from more experienced hobbyists. My idea was to stock it with everything from a local lake plants too a few minnows and let the crawfish just kinda do their thing until they die or I'm ready for the plunge.

55g (B) Fishless cycle, add plants and dirty filter some ammonia.

Stage 2:

3G Add RCS colony to 55(B) Stock 10x Royal Blue Tiger Shrimp

55A Let this tank keep maturing

55B RCS Colony in.

Stage 3: At this point I'll incorporate simulated environmental balance to the 55g tanks.

3G OT or desk tank now bringing best fish and shrimp specimens to be my work friends

55A Stock with 3x White Procambarus Alleni, possibly blue at the same time as well 3 of each. But then again for those more experienced would 2 of each be better for 55g tanks? I do want to breed them.

55B RBTS Colony in. Consider stocking Endlers shortly after.

Simulated Environmental Balance System:
I've only read lightly on this but its what I definitely want to do.
Environmental Balance in the Freshwater Aquarium by Roger Miller - Cichlid Room Companion
Basically the goal is to closely mirror an actual habitat so that the work and maintenance becomes less for me and the system is actually healthier on the whole. Win win.

Here's the set up (attachment)
The Community tank is trying to create ideal conditions for bacteria, algae, detrivores and herbivores while minimizing risk to those organisms. Generally is a slower in the water column flow and medium oxygen. This is where a lot of beneficial microorganisms will take root and propagate and be eaten.

Crawfish tank is trying to create ideal conditions for well CRAWFISH. This is the more carnivorous tank which will likely have a higher bioload, greater water column flow and higher oxygen. The pump (which I'm not exactly sure how great it will work) from the community tank will likely be kept big enough so fry and shrimpets work their way down to the Crawfish Tank to be a tasty treat for the craws. This tank will pump water and fish poo to the muck bucket.

Muck bucket is trying to replicate the slow anerobic rate at which tougher organic matter decomposes and is reintroduced into the system. This will give the plants in the tanks a more robust and complete nutrient source.

Thoughts?

Stage 4

3G QT or desk tank

55A Add blue craws if havent yet, manage plant population and fish population

55B Endler Breeding, Shrimp colonies should be monstrous, plant propagation

Possibly
55C New 55g tank and the setup will be on the same water level as community tank and be between the community tank and the muck tank this will be for plant propagation and for Crawfish breeding. Probably will be split into two sections.

Attachments

• Fish plan.jpg
    Fish plan.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 53
Also, don't forget that Endlers, like most live bearers, will breed EXTREMELY rapidly and may take over your tank. With a larger tank like yours and heavily planted the fry are likely to survive and take over the tank so be ready to have a place for the endlers.

Definitely going to do the Walstad method. The more research I've done the less I think I need to connect the tanks, in fact I think it would probably cause more harm than help, depending on the needs of the individual life in the tanks. Basically I'm only going to do that now if I find any of the tanks going to an abnormal balance. It looks like with the right balance of nutrients, light, and life a properly set up 55g won't need weekly water changes. Though I may still set up a muck bucket that pumps small amounts of the nutrient rich water into the tanks, more research needs to be done at el natural on this though not sure if the muck bucket should be aerated or not.

The Endlers I'm still kinda iffy on. Basically I love colorful things and aquatic life is some of the most beautiful and the hybrid endler guppies I've seen look great. I think my plan of attack here is going to be to keep males and females in separate tanks and breed them only very occasionally. Still unsure about this though, this will likely be the last thing stocked. But I want some fish in there to be producing enough nutrients for the plants.

So current questions,
My substrate is going to include Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix, CaribSea Eco-Complete, White Pool Filter Sand.
How much in inches of each should I have. My thought was an inch of each.
If I do an inch of each how much should I buy? Currently have 40lbs of CarbiSea Eco-Complete.

Suggested plants for a beginner that eat a bunch of nutrients?

Suggested fish stock? Definitely going to have Red Cherry Shrimp, Orange Eyed Blue Tiger Shrimp, and Procambarus Allenii blue and white crawfish. Ottos were suggested to me as well.

It is difficult sexing some species of fishes. So having a male only or female only tank will be tough.

It is difficult sexing some species of fishes. So having a male only or female only tank will be tough.

Luckily endlers are fairly easy to sex, as are guppies I believe, those tend to be the two I'm looking at right now as they are very colorful and also have the same parameters as the other stock I'm keeping.

If you hit the search button and look for the threads 'calibans dirted 46 bowfront' and 'the soil substrate explained' you should find enough information there to get you started. I don't think you need Carib sea or Eco complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you hit the search button and look for the threads 'calibans dirted 46 bowfront' and 'the soil substrate explained' you should find enough information there to get you started. I don't think you need Carib sea or Eco complete.

Thanks so much for linking me to your thread! Reading through it now. Unfortunately the Carib Sea was bought already :( gonna still use it though as it should raise the CEC, right?

Thanks so much for linking me to your thread! Reading through it now. Unfortunately the Carib Sea was bought already :( gonna still use it though as it should raise the CEC, right?

You're welcome. Sorry I don't know anything about Caribsea. It's probably not necessary but it may not hurt. Just don't go too deep on the substrate. 3 inches maximum.

CaribSea EcoComplete has a high CEC. I use it in my planted tank. I try to add substrate fertilizers monthly but that does not always happen. I have never tried a soil based substrate; I've had pretty good success with EC by itself as a substrate.

Back
Top Bottom