Total plant noob needs advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TenaciousTriggerFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a 50 gallon long tank plan on having about forty little tetras. It is play sand substrate about 78-80 degrees usually and the current stock is as follows::
1x 12" pleco
1x black skirt tetra
3x pink fruit tetras
5x rummy-nose tetras
1x African butterfly fish
And one two inch mystery catfish that I have had way to long (I couldn't kill him if I tried[but that's a whole nother story!!])

And I really want to plant it but I am clue-less!!! My local walmart has some "assorted plants" like 9$ each I think

:::Questions:::
1) any comments you have regarding plants

2) is my tank suitable?

3) I'm on a low budget how much would I need to put out? (48" long tank about an inch of substrate)

4) how do I know what kinds?

5) what else will I need besides plants?

I think your tank is suitable. Mine's around 80 degrees and I'm just now getting into plants and have done lots of research, but there's more to learn. Depending on what you want you'll need about 2 -4 inches of substrate, but mine's only at 2 inches. You could try having it 2 inches in the front and 3 or 4 inches towards the back so that the plants that need more space can go in the back. So far anubias have worked in my 80 degree water and so has momey wort. And plan on adding dwarf baby tears if I can get any.

And besides plants you might need fertilizer like root tabs, but I don't need those cause I have plant substrate. First layer laterite and flourite. And you'll probably also need a CO2 system, but I don't know anything about CO2 sytems because I didn't want to have to deal with them.

EWW sound expensive and confusing :/ do you have any idea how I could make this look good?
Most of this decor is out I added natural rocks since this pick but this is the tank...

Attachments

• image-1410783226.jpg
    image-1410783226.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 85
This maybe off the subject. I would stay away from Wally world fish if u can. Also, google fruit tetras sometime. If u already know about dyed fish then never mind.

Bbush said:
This maybe off the subject. I would stay away from Wally world fish if u can. Also, google fruit tetras sometime. If u already know about dyed fish then never mind.

I know about fruit tetras :'( my friend bought them and I went and get en yesterday cuz necessary moving :/

I have one with Popeye now. I have had him for about 2 years. I just recently stopped buying fish from Wally world. I have found some awesome new stores as a result.

A. Before you buy plants, exactly what kind of lighting do you have ? And what does it say on the bulb.

If you have a standard fluorescent light that is older than a year, you'll need a new bulb.

It does not need to be expensive.

B. CO2 is great, BUT you don't have to have it unless you have High Light.

C. Buy all your plants from Hobbyists

I highly recommend buying from other Hobbyists.
Check our AA mart first.
Then check
TPT...The Planted Tank ( only members can see Sales Threads) and
APC...Aquatic Plant Central ( members only mart)
Both are free to join.

I've gotten great deals from fellow hobbyists.
Power Sellers are great, they have a ton of positive feedback.

Just ask for easy low light plants.

D. Our planted Forum has helpful Stickies at the top of the first page of this section...Read them ;)

Low Light tanks can be done inexpensively.

Your Pleco sounds like he needs a new tank. He may uproot plants. Common Plecos need 125+g tanks IMHO. He's only half grown if he's a Common.

Look at Anubias and Java Ferns to start. Super Easy and you tie them to wood, rocks or decor.

If you decide to plant, add root tabs or

DIY Root Tabs

Recipe for
DIY Fert-Cicles :
Osmocote Plus from hardware store or nursery
+ Ice Tray
+ Tank Water

Fill trays 1/2 way with Fert
Fill trays with tank water
Freeze

Bury deep under or near Crypts and Swords or struggling plants. You don't need to put one per plant. Space them about 6" apart I think ??

I use O+ in my tanks. Got a RAOK of O+ root caps, gel capsules. They work great.

How do I locate hobbyist near me??
And please do not criticize about my pleco in this tank he is happy! And he used to dig the sand really really bad till I mad him a natural rock cave now he stays there all the time except to eat :) and as long as he has some bare glass under his rocks he's happy so please drop that particular subject of pleco tank size :)

I want tall-ish plants for my tetras to go in what about those? What are my choices!

Idk if tetra like sword plants, but that's what I think of when I think of tall plants. I think those are usually medium to high lighting depending on the type right??

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
And please do not criticize about my pleco in this tank he is happy! And he used to dig the sand really really bad till I mad him a natural rock cave now he stays there all the time except to eat :) and as long as he has some bare glass under his rocks he's happy so please drop that particular subject of pleco tank size :)
I don't think he was criticizing you, just informing you that your pleco is only half grown. Just think how much damage a fish twice that size would cause in a planted tank. He is beautiful, I love plecos but I now have bristlenose since they don't get nearly as big and are better algae eaters imo.

ashleynicole said:
I don't think he was criticizing you, just informing you that your pleco is only half grown. Just think how much damage a fish twice that size would cause in a planted tank. He is beautiful, I love plecos but I now have bristlenose since they don't get nearly as big and are better algae eaters imo.

Just nipping it in the but as you say lol had like 4 people going off on that subject last week!! What about java fern how tall will they get? And I have 2 15 watt bulbs :/

Check out anubias, they are very hardy and will grow in really low light. You only have about 30 watts in a 50 gallon tank, that's really not a lot to work with.

ashleynicole said:
Check out anubias, they are very hardy and will grow in really low light. You only have about 30 watts in a 50 gallon tank, that's really not a lot to work with.

No crypts?

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
Does C stand for crypt? And are those what I can use?

You can try these, but you have REALLY Low Light. You asked for tall, these are the first tall Crypts I could think of.
C = Cryptocoryne

Google them for more info using Crypt or Cryptocoryne and the rest of the Latin name to see pics and info.

Back
Top Bottom