tourmaline balls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mindy2400

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if anyone can advise me on the use of tourmaline balls? I have a 65 gallon tank and am having problems keeping my pH up. It seems to want to stay at 6. The ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, nitrates are about 10-15. My tank has 2 Angel's, 2 black mollies, 2 platinum guppies, and 1 rosy white finned tetra. It is heavily planted as well. I have a hang on the back filter for tanks up to 75 gallons, and a sponge filter as well. I change the hang on the back 1x a month, and the sponge filter is new. Tank is about 77°. Thanks for the help!

Knowing your GH and kH would be very helpful, many fish stores will test it for you often for a small fee, or purchase the kit.

Frequently low pH could be from low calcium in the water. I have that problem in my tanks and need to add calcium regularly. (And Magnesium as well)

I had a quick look (thought it was the crystal lol). I suspect that just adding carbonates (crushed rock, coral, etc) would be just as good for what you need but I’m only looking on google. As above - kh value would help.

Live bearers here seem to do better in harder water, I think the angelfish and tetras would be fine in lower ph water.

It may be useful to know ph out of tap as well.

Okay..... the pH of my tap water came out as dark a purple as it could, so I am assuming it is at least 8.8 straight from the tap. The last 2 water changes I did, were with bottle crystal springs that i had delivered, 60 gallons in all. The pH of that water was around 6.8. I do not have a test for the GH or KH.... But I can take some water to the lps later today.

That IS crazy high!

Also just checked and Crystal Springs delivery says they have distilled water too. You might try that option and see if using it to cut the tap water by 1/3 to 1/2 (or more) gets you the desired numbers.

Even at half the difference between the spring water and the tap water wouldn't be enough to get the numbers down where you would like.

I thought it was crazy high too, and do t understand why it is so high. I started using bottled water because the ammonia level in the tap water was high, but the pH was about 7. Will tourmaline balls help stabilize all this?

Not that I am aware. Tourmaline balls are a mineral ball which dissolve over time, shrimp can pick at, which can develop biofilm, just like everything in the tank, although the sellers say they do a variety of things. Deionizing water, as well as some scientific things relating to O2 and altering pH to increase it, used in making alkaline water. For plants in making more minerals available.

But... with 5 little balls in a tank, I can't see how they would make a huge chemical difference. Compared to a HOB container full of them.

And you aren't trying to raise the pH, that's for sure.

Wow, lol, was thinking of the tap water! Geez sorry! Been reading a lot of stuff and doing projects!

If the tap water is so high, pH, just start changing a a 10% a day and you should get there pretty quickly.

Did you find out what your GH KH number are?

What have been you pwc's schedule lately?

I did not test the GH or Kh yet....oops. I have a 65 gallon tank, heavily planted (I think?), and have been taking out about 20-25 gallons 1x weekly. Been doing so bc it wasnt cycled until a week or so ago. I didnt think it was ever going to either. It's been up for quite some time. Anyway... I finally used bottled water for my PwC, and it cycled almost immediately. I'd really LOVE to go for a whole week, or 2, where I don't have to stick my hand in that tank and disrupt all my fish friends.

ALSO..... I ha e the API freshwater master test kit. Do you have a recommendation for the best kit for the gh and kh? I've heard the tests with the strips of paper were not trustworthy.

Okay...so, I ordered the test kit, and it came in the mail today. After only 1 drop, the gH, AND the kg are both testing at 1. The KG of my tap water is 2. The gh of the tap water was 1. Does that mean anything?

Back
Top Bottom