toxic ammonia/pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snugglecat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been running a 10 gal for years and recently set up a second tank for tetras as I have aggressive/carnivorous fish in the old tank. My new tank seems to refuse to stabilize pH and ammonia. The nitrite and nitrate levels are fine, but the toxic ammonia and pH are high. I've done several partial water changes a few days apart, but it doesn't seem to make a dent. Any suggestions?

How "recently" did you set it up? What size is it, what kind of equipment is running on it and what, if anything, is currently residing in it?

It's a 5 gal tank that I set up 2 weeks ago. 3 white clouds, 1 pepper cory, good filter system. I added a bit of gravel from my stable 10 gal upon set up to encourage beneficial bacteria etc. There are 2 small live plants (what type I don't know, just broad leaf rooting well in my gravel)

Did you add Biosphere or something else? I would imagine it's going to take more than a couple weeks to cycle without that. I believe the old gravel will help, but not cycle a tank immediately.

Adding a bit of gravel may have added a *bit* of beneficial bacteria but not nearly enough to have really helped much as far as the cycle. Especially since you have a relatively heavy fishload for a new tank that size. What you are experiencing is a cycle, plain and simple.
As for your nitrites and nitrates being "fine" -- what measurements are you considering "fine"?
With the small size of the tank there is way less room for fluctiation in water condition.....so you are looking at some serious water changes for the duration of the cycle completing itself. If I were you I would remove all but one of the fish to the established tank if possible as that will reduce the amount of ammonia being put into the water and make the cycle a LOT easier to manage without losing any of your fish.

yep, your tank is in the first stage of a cycle, elevated ammonia. Nitrite yet to come. Like mandi says, if you can't remove some of the fish to another tank, you need to become the latest water change king! At least for the next few weeks. I assumed that by "fine" you meant nitrite and nitrate are zero.

I would add not to worry about your pH. Just focus on partial water changes to keep ammonia (and later, nitrites) down. Fish can adapt to a high pH as long as you don't fool with it and cause major swings. The pH will adjust itself gradually once the tank is cycled and has been running for awhile.

Well, I feel like a bit of an idiot... it's been so long since I set up a tank that I completely forgot to add my Cycle bacteria :oops: I've now done that and I will continue to monitor my various levels. So far my Nitrate and Nitrite have been nil but I will keep an eye on them as my toxic ammonia comes down.

Unfortunately I cannot remove my fish even to my other tank because of my asian sun cat (loves live food! and will eat anything under 2").

Thanks everyone for the advice

Back
Top Bottom