Tracking Data

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magicmarymac

Aquarium Advice Freak
How do you keep track of all of your important fishy stuff like water test results, when to dose, what problems have surfaced, (such as algae, disease, water parameter spikes), when a tank was started, when new equipment was purchased, etc.

Do you use your head, a paper notebook, your computer, your phone? (I've been using an app…)

My own Excel database..... tracks & graphs all testing, water changes, etc. I also keep a general "notes" page for any additions/deaths, equipment maintanence/purchases, or just anything unusual.

I just use my head... Well, except for when I buy new plants. In that case, I have a list of plants and their scientific names to help me learn and remember them. I store that on a notepad on my smartphone. I do have folders in my computer saved for aquarium stuff like my PPS-Pro calculator, pictures, and shopping lists.

My own Excel database..... tracks & graphs all testing, water changes, etc. I also keep a general "notes" page for any additions/deaths, equipment maintanence/purchases, or just anything unusual.

More detail…do you write test results down and then bring it to your computer? Or do you bring the computer to the testing area?

I started out by writing in a notebook. After that i then created a spreadsheet. Then I found myself printing out the spreadsheet, doing the test, snd writing the results on the paper. then inputting the data I wrote down.

When I found an iPhone app I switched to that…but I am not convinced that's best either.

I just use my head... Well, except for when I buy new plants. In that case, I have a list of plants and their scientific names to help me learn and remember them. I store that on a notepad on my smartphone. I do have folders in my computer saved for aquarium stuff like my PPS-Pro calculator, pictures, and shopping lists.

Oh, I remember starting a list of plants, now where was that?…

Thanks, Brian

I would love an app that I could just input it from my phone when I looked last most were a notepad type and I want graph etc

More detail…do you write test results down and then bring it to your computer? Or do you bring the computer to the testing area?

Neither....... My laptop sits right next to my testing area on the coffee table in the living room, and my tanks are about 6ft away from me as I type.

I use the the old notebook,(pen & paper) journal. How many of us have lost our cell phones & have had hard drives crash. I guess you could lose your notebook if your house burned down but then the thing your writting about won't be around either. LOL Plus I can keep my journal and pen right by the Aquarium, and the battery doesn't run down. Sometimes, the old way still has its advantages. OS.

Neither....... My laptop sits right next to my testing area on the coffee table in the living room, and my tanks are about 6ft away from me as I type.

Ahhhh, perfect. Unfortunately I have two in my home, one in the bedroom, and an Evolve4 at work.

I use the the old notebook,(pen & paper) journal. How many of us have lost our cell phones & have had hard drives crash. I guess you could lose your notebook if your house burned down but then the thing your writting about won't be around either. LOL Plus I can keep my journal and pen right by the Aquarium, and the battery doesn't run down. Sometimes, the old way still has its advantages. OS.

This is exactly why I posted the question, I am thinking about going with a notebook and then possibly still using the app as well. (But I will probably use only one method.)

One thing that is cumbersome about the app is comparing test results of all aquariums, for example PH.

I'm old school and still after over 30 years just use a plain ole notebook! I figure this far into the hobby I don't need graphs and what not as I can just look at my data to compare. I do have sections tho, equipment, fish, plants, nutrient log, etc.

I generally use my computer.
I use excel for test results when cycling a tank.
I make a sticky note on my homescreen that has all my plants and fry drop/egg hatch dates.
I have word documents to track spawn progresion

But, I do use a notebook for writing down order details, shipping addresses, e-mails, etc. That way when I'm getting ready to ship I dont have to turn on my computer and keep having to take it out of sleep after each package is finished.

But I am downloading that app now and will probably go that route in the future.

Edit---- whats the difference between the pro and lite version? I downloaded Pro just in case but I want to know if I wasted my money lol

I generally use my computer.
I use excel for test results when cycling a tank.
I make a sticky note on my homescreen that has all my plants and fry drop/egg hatch dates.
I have word documents to track spawn progresion

But, I do use a notebook for writing down order details, shipping addresses, e-mails, etc. That way when I'm getting ready to ship I dont have to turn on my computer and keep having to take it out of sleep after each package is finished.

But I am downloading that app now and will probably go that route in the future.

Edit---- whats the difference between the pro and lite version? I downloaded Pro just in case but I want to know if I wasted my money lol

Lol. I don't remember. I just hate ads. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom