Transferring from 29g to 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

l'eau IQ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 long that I've had up and running for 2 years and now have a 55g that has been cycling for over a month w/ 100 lbs lr and a ssb. All params look good w/ nitrates finally dropping below 20. I have cheap fluorescents that came with the 55g running and looking to purchase new lights w/in the next month or so and vho on my 29g. My question is, are fish sensitive to lighting like inverts? I currently have a damsel, maroon clown and coral beauty in my 29g. Was planning on transferring my damsel over now if the change in lighting won't affect it. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I don't believe the lighting will bother them. Acclimate to the new tank as you would with a fish from the LFS. If the water parameters are the same in both tanks, acclimation won't take as long. Medium flow drip or shot glass (new water added to the existing) every 15 -20 minutes is what I do.

Considered keeping the 29g as a QT/hospital tank? Maybe even consider leaving the damsel in the 29g to keep it seeded and moving the clown instead. They're pretty tuff too. Just pretty damsels.

I haven't heard about fish being really sensitive to light, aside from when being shipped. I agree with austinsdad, if parameteres match, start transfering. You must be excited about the new upgrade :D

Thanks guys, that's what I thought. I'm going to set up the 29g as a fuge for the 55g once I get everthing transferred over. That's the next project (after new lighting), plumbing the two together. And yes I am excited, I bought the tank towards the end of last year, built a DYI stand and finally getting to the point where I can stare at more than just water, rocks and sand!!!

Great! Update us on the direction you're headed. With that amount of rock, you'd do good with a reef set-up. But...there's that coral beauty of course. Might put a stop to all that coral talk anyway.

I wouldn't worry about buying more expensive light for the 29g/QT. Whatever light is on there now will do IMO.

My 29g is actually already set up as a reef tank. I have a few corals in there already and the coral beauty doesn't bother them. The 29g already has vho lighting on it. I need to upgrade the lighting on the 55g. All it has now is cheap pc's that came with it. Debating on vho or mh. Everyone tells me mh for a reef tank but if you have enough Watts in the vho, wouldn't that be sufficient for a tank of that depth?

Consider T5HO lighting, as much light (with individual reflectors), less watts used, less heat generated. A great option.

Back
Top Bottom