Transformer dropped in WATER!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaChi

Aquarium Advice Regular
:banghead:

I am SO pissed at myself.

So I was changing the filter (and cleaning the LED) on my Fluval Chi and I unplugged the transformer from the wall as well. While holding it and carrying the filter to the sink...you guessed it I drop it in the water. It was only seconds...but seconds is all it takes sometimes.

I dried it off (outside and inside the hole) as best I could with a paper towel. I rolled it and tried to jam it into the hole.

QUESTIONS:

Is there are chance it may still work?

Do I let it dry out for the day? (shrimp may die betta should be fine)

Put it in rice? I cannot open it up for really good internal drying.

Should I just cut my losses and order a new one on eBay?

:fish1:

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 79
How long before you would try the transformer?

I read that rice doesn't work as well as an open room in one article but I am trying it anyway.

:fish1:

Give it a day. Then order. Radio shack might have the transformer?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

We have a phone sitting in rice at the moment (got left outside in rain). At a guess I'd say the rice has worked maybe half the time (or just lucky) and its sat in the rice for a couple of days.

We have a phone sitting in rice at the moment (got left outside in rain). At a guess I'd say the rice has worked maybe half the time (or just lucky) and its sat in the rice for a couple of days.

I watched a gadget show where they tested different methods for drying out a wet phone. The one that worked best was placing it under a desk lamp bulb at close range. The rice trick was in there too.

I watched a gadget show where they tested different methods for drying out a wet phone. The one that worked best was placing it under a desk lamp bulb at close range. The rice trick was in there too.

A desk lamp sounds an excellent idea - will probably try that tonight since it has been sitting in rice for a bit.

Low heat is your friend there. I would still order another to have on standby.

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the responses guys.

Well it is working now and you will never guess what we did.

Yes, I tried rice for a few hours.
But then I put it on the dashboard of my locked car for a hour or so. When I got it out (here in warm florida) it was a little warm to the touch. I let it cool back down in the same bag of rice for a few minutes (where it started) but the dry & arid car temperatures were enough to work! WHEW

:fish2:

Back
Top Bottom