Translucent Angel babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

accidentbreeder

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have become an accidental breeder of angels. My koi girl and pearl boy paired up in a community tank and after laying eggs twice and terrorising all the other fish, I moved them into their own tank. Anyway, they laid that same day and I ended up with lots of babies. The babies are now 3-4 weeks old (and I’ve just moved them into their own tank after mum laid again and dad killed around 20 of the babies), and some of the babies are translucent (you can see their innards). The others still appear fairly pale to me. Is this normal for their age?

Yes it is normal. Congratulations on having a pair raise their own babies. Sort of rare these days. The ones with the transparent gill plates (red cheeks) are called blushers. they have two stripeless genes.

Yes it is normal. Congratulations on having a pair raise their own babies. Sort of rare these days. The ones with the transparent gill plates (red cheeks) are called blushers. they have two stripeless genes.

Thank you! They have been amazing parents. They moved their eggs 3 times and also moved the wrigglers. And they were extremely protective of the babies, to the point of jumping out of the water to attack me when I went to feed them. But then mum laid more eggs and the larger babies were picking at them. They seemed ok with it, and the other tank wasn’t quite cycled yet, so we left them. A few hours later we found babies dying or dead. We are assuming that mum or dad attacked them to protect the eggs. The babies have been in their own tank for 5 days now, and we have around 80 survivors. Mum and dad are back to looking for a spot to breed.

My koi angels are six or seven months old, and their bodies are still somewhat translucent, especially where the scales are white instead of orange/black.

Thanks for replying! I’m planning on selling them when they get big enough (we have around 80, so too many to keep ?), so I’m hoping they don’t take that long to get colour,

Back
Top Bottom