Transorting Black piranha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

booginish

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok so heres my dilema, i am getting a black piranha from a friend in brandon which is a 2.5 hour drive from winnipeg, i wanna know what would be the most efficient way to transport this 12 in 6.5 pound piranha back to winnipeg, without injury? I heard a cooler would work well in keeping the temp, but im not sure what to do yet hopefully you guys have some good advice.

Okay. I faced this dilemma previously when transporting a Serrasalmus Marginatus (spotted piranha). Some LFSs have like a lined box. It's cardboard on the outside, but lined and water proof on the inside. You fill it with tank water, and then seal it. You could try and get that. If not, I would recommend maybe a big cooler, or a large bucket with lid. Make sure the water is cycled, and that you can keep the temp up. In that case maybe a large rectangular cooler, like 55g would work. Keep in mind that piranhas will bite through plastic bags. Mine bites through them to get to feeders floating in the tank to climatize, and when I transported him he bit through the bag the guys at the LFS attempted to put him in. The last thing you need is a rhom thrashing around the inside of your car biting indiscriminately while you try and keep it between the lines. A full grown rhom could probably take a smaller hand off at the wrist, do be careful. Good luck.

ya for sure, and something interesting, black piranhas can live out of water for 3 days. so i think i will be fine.

ya for sure, and something interesting, black piranhas can live out of water for 3 days. so i think i will be fine.

no I'm afraid that's simply not true...

you leave that P out of the water for an hour and you've got sushi...

i didnt get the info off the net i got it from the guy who cultivates them. i guess im not sure how reliable his info is, but hes bin doin the job for years.

yeah, I'm no expert, but I know more about P's than your average joe, and I promise you they're not lungfish. That fish so much as gets dry and he's gonna die. They are extremely hardy and live in pools that amount to little more than mudholes during the dry season in the amazon, but they have to have wet gills to breath. Take them out of the water and they die as quickly as any other fish.

I hate to say it, but if that's what the guy your getting the rhom from told you then I would be seriously suspect of anything else he tells you.

The best piranha resource on the web that I know of is OPEFE. It's ran by a guy named Frank Mangallanes. He's an ichthyologist that studies piranhas. Nice guy too. I'd read as much about the rhom as you can. You do mean serrasalmus rhombeus when you say black piranha right?

Oregon Piranha Exotic Fish Exhibit (OPEFE) www.opefe.com

ya thats what type it is. but i got a wierd story for you, my friend has 13 inch black piranha that jumped out of his tank one night when we were all out and when we got back it was on the ground and it looked dead, we put it back in the tank and it was kinda moving then 1 hour later is was perfectly fine.

ya thats what type it is. but i got a wierd story for you, my friend has 13 inch black piranha that jumped out of his tank one night when we were all out and when we got back it was on the ground and it looked dead, we put it back in the tank and it was kinda moving then 1 hour later is was perfectly fine.

Alright dude. Believe what you like. Don't say you weren't warned.

Back
Top Bottom